AMSOIL 15W40 HDD in 2002 F350 7.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the most current results on my F-350 22,500 miles on it. This batch went 8,500 miles 2 qts make up oil added with filter change, using AMSOIL SDF-99.
Running the ford severe duty AIS filter and PRIMROSE 409 diesel fuel additive.

AL 2
CR 2
FE 19
CU 8
PB 3
SN 0
MO 3
NI 0
MN 0
AG 0
TI 0
K 5
B 0
SI 16
NA 4
CA 4942
MG 10
P 1062
ZN 1167
BA 1

SUS Viscosity 71.7
Flashpoint 460
Fuel antifreeze 0
water 0
insolubles 0.4

I got the dyson ananlysis so those comments are not included. Thanks for the analysis Terry.
My plans were to go for 12,000 miles then change out the oil and refill with amsoil again. This oil was placed in after running DELO 400. Terry has some recommendations I am considering.

Very nice wear numbers on this engine. All are very low, including the silicon. This engine usually stays above 20PPM silicon for the first 20K, then starts to come down more. With the AIS air cleaner it is not dirt, just leaching from the gaskets. Did you get the Oxy, Nit, Soot and TBN with this report? Soot should be low as your insoluables are not bad. I would change the FF every 6K miles if you are going to run the 12K oil change intervals. This would keep the insoluables and soot levels along with oxidation at a very nice level. JMO.

cheers.gif

That looks like a good combination of lube and engine!! Looks like your driveing cycle agrees as well. Nice report!

P.S. Do not let the thin oil people see this!!! THey will try to convince you that 5W20 is the best thing since pre-sliced bread! THey might also try to convince you that you have a loose clearance engine so just ignore them!!!

lol.gif

John, you have a way of really getting to your point. I'd say your above comment should be well taken. In other words, I really like the information you're passing on in this way.

[ January 01, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: krholm ]

The recommended Amsoil formulation for this application is their S3000, 5w-30. You can expect similar wear rates to the 15w-40, along with a fuel savings of 2%-3%.

Based on this analysis, you should be able to extend the drain interval by 50%-100%. The S3000 should also be able to go much longer than this and is even more shear stable than the 15w-40.

I'd use a upper limit of 2% on soot and a lower limit of 4.0 on the TBN....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics
(256) 882-0768

I am extremely happy with the 15W40 and am going to stay with it. Like John said, found an oil that matches well with what I doing and with the engine. Why mess with something that is working well.
lol.gif

For price performance, the Amsoil 15W40 AME and Schaeffer's 15W40 #700 are two of the best 15W40's flying today.

The AME has just enough Barium Sulfonate to deactivate metal catylization and inhibit rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back