analysis #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAMPLE #2 AT 24503 MILES
OIL: 9882 MILES
NO MAKE UP OIL ADDED, 9882 MILES ON FULL FLOW AND BY-PASS.
Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 0
Copper: 12
Iron: 12
lead: 3
tin: 0
silicon: 20
Potas: 1
Sodium: 7
moly: 0
Water: Oxidation: Visc: 13.6
glycol: ND
TBN 8.9
Nitration: Soot:
1ST READINGS: MOTOR 15k OIL 10k
Alum 6
Chrom 4
Cop 18
iron 15
lead 5
tin 4
silcon 41
pots 13
sod 7
water oxd visco 13.6
gly none detc.
TBN 9.8
SAE 43
Soot
This is using Shell 5-40 syn. Thought about Mobil even Redline, amsoil, royal purple etc.. but I like that I can get mobil or shell at wal-mart.
If I used another syn, and could extend to 20K instead of the 10k that i'm doing changes, i might consider going to the "exotic" syns.
dunno.gif

What type of diesel?

Did you change the bypass filter during this run?
What kind of bypass filter?

Results not to bad, looks like oil could go longer. Silicon has dropped a good amount, factory air filter setup?

powerstroke diesel.
Neither the full flow OR bypass was changed. Both were run the 98XX miles.
factory filter on both runs.
Oil Guard bypass.

I may switch to a high end syn to stretch it to 20k, but i don't know yet.

Those silicon numbers seem extremely high for a by-pass filter system. Aren't they supposed to be for reducing all the small particles? Let's here it from the by-pass filter advocates.........

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
Those silicon numbers seem extremely high for a by-pass filter system. Aren't they supposed to be for reducing all the small particles? Let's here it from the by-pass filter advocates.........

The Ford PSD (power stroke diesel) will show high silicon for up to 30-35K miles. This can be normal as the gaskets continue to leache and give a fairly high reading.
The other problem is the stock air cleaner on this truck does not seal very good. It is a flat panel design and if the tabs are wrong or not far enough in it can cause problems.
This report shows a very clean running engine with no problems. All things equal, change filters and go another 5K.

This is the air cleaner I am running on my 95 and 01 Ford PSD and silicon is low on both. To get an idea of the size that is a Group 29 battery in the picture next to the air cleaner which is a Donaldson:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/vettemanfilter.jpg

cheers.gif

[ January 04, 2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I second the recommendation of the Donaldson BHAF, it gave very good Si numbers on my Cummins powered Dodge. The filter is bigger than the whole factory airbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back