AMSOIL HDD 5W-30 '96 TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Robbie,
The problems with this engine aren't about soot or filtration. The high chrome and iron are about sticking upper piston rings. The wear metal numbers have been consistant regardless of oil used (Rotella T 5w40, AMSOIL 15w40, AMSOIL 5w30 HDD), bypass filtration (I had an oilguard on for the Rotella T and early 15w40 numbers and removed it before these 5w30 numbers were collected), engine flushes (I used AMSOIL's flush in between the Rotella/15w40, and the 15w40 and 5w30), injector flush (two cans of Lubro Moly injector cleaner before these 5w30 numbers), or fuel additives (Stanadyne for the Rotella and 15w40, AMSOIL fuel modifier and cetane boost for these numbers).

The history with these engines says we gotta either tear them down and scrape the ring lands, or get a chemical into the upper engine and soak them free. I've just completed an upper engine chemical cleaning that *should* take care of it...the next analysis should tell.

The EGR and intake manifold is clean - I had to do that shortly after buying the car. I've adjusted the computer settings and the EGR isn't a factor in these numbers. Ya can't recirculate exhaust if you keep the valve shut...

'Eating Soot': Most soot is smaller than 1 micron and won't be collected in meaningful amounts in a full-flow filter. You'll collect more in a bypass filter, but still in smaller quantities. Unless... A function of one of the additives in a diesel oil package, and a function of the LC, is to make soot particles stick together until they get large enough to become trapped in a filter. Since I know that mine isn't a soot problem, I'll stay clear of oil additives and modified filter change rates.

20 miles on the new oil...is it too early to pull a sample?
wink.gif

Hey Andy,

Do you think 5w-30 might be too thin for your HOT San Antonio summers? Just a thought.

Chris
2000 VW Golf 1.9 TDI - 90k miles
1991 VW Jetta 1.6 Diesel - 240k miles
AMSOIL Full Synthetic 15w-40 in both cars.

Andy and Robbie, the LC and FP dissolve soot to a level that the dispersants can carry it safely and burn it. LC and FP aren't dispersants, but lubricious solvents with LC's flash near 313 F. The combo makes a mighty dent in soot wherever it contacts it.

Andy can you quickly check the CCV system and confirm it is clean and not loaded with soot. You have the CCV shut off or just adjusted the cycle ?

Your motor oil brands won't make a lot of difference in this engine unless you get the rings sealed, in the meantime you have been bore polishing the poor little VW !
Your HDD oil is fine it is just loaded with soot.

Robbie, I reserve the right to keep a few secrets of interpreting old fashioned spectros !
rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Terry

[ November 18, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Andy and Robbie, the LC and FP dissolve soot to a level that the dispersants can carry it safely and burn it. LC and FP aren't dispersants, but lubricious solvents with LC's flash near 313 F. The combo makes a mighty dent in soot wherever it contacts it.
So this would stay in the oil throught OCI.

Would Both be necessary in Gasoline?
So I suppose, one could use either one as a THINNER to thin VISC?
Would there be any problems using this to thin a VII added to the oil and make a brew?
What are the max. suggested % ?

Your HDD oil is fine it is just loaded with soot.
-
MAXED-out. But how much better would a better oil do? 10%, 50%, 100% ?

-----
Robbie, I reserve the right to keep a few secrets of interpreting old fashioned spectros !
rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Terry

Okay Terry, but throw me a quiet bone from time to time. Give me the mental exercises one needs to see this stuff. I think I have a little handle on it, although I could be all wet, all I know is from the experience of my own error ($$$) you know that school (Hard Knocks _ I'm the founder!).

Hey Terry - Sorry for the delay. I wanted to take another look.

The crank case vent/valve cover oil-air separator-wanna-be/and plumbing to the intake manifold is clear. The entire intake system is coated with oil thanks to the less-than-brilliant separater. The intake manifold and EGR valve is clean, tho also oil coated. I adjusted the duty cycle of the EGR with a scan tool.

The intake manifold was very bad when I bought the car as you can see. This was 74K miles.
 -
There was no soot-coating upstream of the EGR - everything was from the EGR to the cylinders. I have 113K on it now, the intake is still clean.

I still have cross-hatching on the cylinder walls, the bore polishing has a few miles yet before it's all shiny.
wink.gif

You may think that oil selection isn't making much difference, but the lab says that moving from Rotella T 'synth' was a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back