Shell Rotella 15w-40, 1983 Olds diesel, 1500 miles, 6yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 1983 Cutlass Supreme, 4.3L V6 diesel. Engine has approx 130,000 miles on it.

Oil had around 1,500 miles from 6 years ago and about 25 hours of idling for the following 5 years. Oil capacity is 7 qts, uses a pf52 filter plus an additional 1qt filter (pf35) which I added.
code:

IRON 50

CHRM 2

NICKEL
ALUM 6

LEAD 7

COPPER 3

TIN
SILVER
TITANIUM
SILICONE 12

BORON 221

SODIUM 15

POTASIUM 13

MOLY
PHOSPH 1213

ZINC 1394

CALCIUM 2229

BARIUM
MAGNES 12

ANTIMONY
VANADIUM

FUEL %1.0 OF VOLUME

VIS CS 13.8

GLYCOL – NEGATIVE

TBN 7.87

Quit driving the car 6 years ago due to terminal cancer (rust). I am getting ready to pull the motor for a future swap, another Olds in good shape or a conversion into my 94 S10. Maybe both since I have several engines.

I changed the oil as I want to make sure I don't hurt the motor anymore if it sits a few more years before I get around to it. Car had not been started in a year when I took this sample and was usually started and idled a few times a year for the last 6 years. Had blue smoke when I started the engine to get the sample. I put back in mix of oil to clean out my cabinet, 2qts of 7 year old Rotella, some Mobil 1, and the rest Schaeffers. After running on the clean oil the blue smoke stopped so figure the rings were stuck a little bit.

How does everyone think it looks after 6 years sitting plus 25 hours idling?

To be totally honest, this oil doesn't look so bad for an oil that has been in there for 6 years!! I would've expected iron to be insanely high, like 300-400ppm.

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
Are you sure its a 4.3L V-6 Deisel? in 1983 the only car engine deisel produced by GM was the retroed 350olds...?

While not as common as the 350, there were many 4.3L diesels put in the Cutlass. The 4.3L V6 was built between 1982 and 1985.A larger amount of the 4.3's were installed in the fwd Cierra's. I ordered the car new and wanted the V6 diesel.

Patman, when I took a look at the report I was expecting the iron to be really high. When I started the engine it sounded like the rings were breaking loose rust for the first couple of cranks.

I was wondering if the TBN dies over time but did not as the oil is still over a 7.

Inside the valve cover, I could see everything looked clean with no rust or sludge. I have torn these diesels apart before and amazed at how clean the diesel oil keeps them as compared to how black diesel oil gets.

Wow, an interesting analysis.. The 4.3 diesel option was not very popular here in Canada, I remember seeing one while working for Mr. Lube and everyone was gawking at it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back