POTASSIUM----3
SODIUM-------9
OXIDATION---- VISCOSITY----12.6
GLYCOL-------ND
FUEL---------3
TBN----------7.1
NITRATION----16.1
SOOT---------
I HAVE AN OILGUARD BYPASS FILTER INSTALLED AT THE TIME THIS OIL WAS ADDED.THIS IS THE FIRST CHANGE AT 1606 MILES. HIGH COPPER IN THESE ENGINES HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE. I HAVEN'T ASKED THEM YET BUT I ASSUMME THE OIL IS STILL GOOD FOR USE.

SILICON SEEMS HIGH TO ME. SHOULD I CHECK THE AIR FILTER? I'VE NEVER LOOKED AT IT. ITS A 2003 GMC CREW CAB.

ANY COMMENTS ON WHEN TO CHANGE OR RETEST? BY THE WAY THIS TRUCK HAS TO LAST THE REST OF MY LIFE, OUCH THOSE PAYMENTS HURT.

GMCDURAMAX....Please, please , please ....TURN OFF YOUR CAP LOCK...it is very iratating to read your posts...also on internet boards...it is considered yelling......just a thought
offtopic.gif

I'm sorry. I didn't think it would matter with technical stuff. I was typing for the hard of hearing
dunno.gif
its just so much easier for me that way. I'll take the time and go the extra mile in the future.

GMCDURAMAX

The copper was also high on my Duramax at 9393 miles and this seems to be a common occurrence (see Duramax Cu). I’m hoping to see mine start trending down in the next analysis. You Si is on the high side but maybe not unusual for a new engine. Since you have only done one oil change you Si level is probably OK. My personal experience has been that Si will be higher on a new engine due to Si left over form the casting process and leaching from gasket sealants. When my Dmax was new I did oil changes at 1000, 2000, and 3000 miles with Dino to “flush” the engine and then switched to synthetic. My Si level at 9393 was 8 or 22ppm depending on the analysis company I look at (I sent two samples). I would also check the air filter so see if it’s seated properly. I use a coating of synthetic grease on the gasket to insure a good seal. Si levels should trend down with age. If it stays high I would carefully check the air box and turbo inlet connections for leaks.

Regarding your question on when to change… do it now
shocked.gif
. I know DELVAC-1 is designed for extended drains, but 10,000 miles is way beyond my comfort zone. The oil change reminder on my duramax is suggesting a 9 to 10kmi change interval. Some may disagree but I change at 4.5 to 5kmi (with synthetic). Like you said, this truck has to last me a long time too.
smile.gif

[ August 09, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Bill Plock ]

I think I'll take Bill's advice and change it now. Fuel dilution is high viscosity is lower. TBN and oxidation are still OK but TBN has taken a pretty good hit.

With that high fuel dilution does anyone think I have an injector problem? These are mostly city miles with a little idling. I've heard of a few on the duramaxes. Mostly 2001 models, but apparently its still a problem as I've heard they changed it on 2004's.

Wlkjr,

I talked to Dan at Oil Analyzers regarding the high CU in my Duramax, and he said that copper in the oil could be the result of electrolysis of exposed CU in the engine (possibly from the oil cooler). Additives in the oil can be the catalyst for the electrolysis, which will stop after an oxide coating forms on the copper.

Copper levels on my first analysis was extremely high also. Is this normal for the Duramax? It sure seems to be. What causes this?

On my 1st sample my dmax had 3,000 miles on motor. I changed oil and took a sample at 6,000 miles. Copper 33, silicon 23. Sample was done by Blackstone.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Plock:
GMCDURAMAX

Some may disagree but I change at 4.5 to 5kmi (with synthetic).

what does using snthetic get you? seems like a huge waste of money to me. with money saved by either extending OCI or going with dino, you'd be able to buy a new engine or tranny every 200k miles (seriously).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back