Schaeffers 7000 15w-40 in a VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
I hear you man. Still a couple of grand shy of 10 on this sample. Maybe a road trip to the San Diego Zoo is in order.

Big Bend is nice this time of year!

Tim

Neil

Are you getting your oil mail order, or is there a place to buy OTC?

I'll be moving to Houston in three weeks and wonder what availability will be like if I choose to switch from Amsoil to Schaeffers? The Amsoil distribution center is 250 miles away in Dallas!

I still have three gallons of Soy Shield in inventory, so no hurry there!

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:

Giving oil is OK for Christmas isn't it. After all wasn't one of the Wise men packing oil?

Just wondering which anniversary is the oil anniversary?

Oil geeks. They are all the same!

I have had to refrain from buying oil lately in order to draw the supply down. The movers don't like taking liquids in the trucks with all the other stuff that can get ruined.

When we make the move to Houston at the end of the month, I'm gonna go wild! I may buy several oils that I have no intention of using! I may buy oils based solely on the color of the containers in order to have a color-coordinated garage!

My wife will shake her head in confusion. How can she understand! She's not a geek....

Tim

One of the Wise Men was packing an early Schaeffer's blend. It has been greatly improved since that time.

Jujst kidding!

He was packing straight olive oil, no moly, no zinc, no calcium.

Of course, those camels were pretty easy on oil and they hadn't started with the extended drains yet.

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:
Originally posted by mirou:
[qb] ---**---***
Amsoil claims an average 3% gain in fuel economy using their Series 3000 5w-30. But it's $10 more per gallon than Amsoil 15w-40. Effectively voiding any money saved by the increased fuel mileage.
So if their claims work and the engine is better for it and the oil can Pay For itself... HUmmm
extra quality oil, same or less $$$ spent, more protection, saving the environement, etc... all without Extra $$$, even at break-even it pays for itself.
Let me tell you something, I was a little worried trying an oil that is about 24.00 a gal. but I did, and to my surprise it DID pay for itself in the fuel savings. The question is Do you think the claims are real, and will work in your engine with your application, if they do... ITS FREE OIL.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
I guess this kinda puts the issue of the TDI can't use anything but a synth oil to rest. The oil used in this analysis is the Schaeffers #700 SUPREME 7000 SAE 15W-40 which is a blend and not anywhere near a full synth. Based on this report, I see no evidence of it sludging or even breaking down due to the high speed turbo that Andy H was claiming would destroy the Schaeffers oil and stating for a fact that only full synths would hold up based on his statements in this last thread.. New VW TDI which oil

Sorry Bob - You're answering a question, but it's not MY question. I didn't say a thing about the turbo - the issue is with the rings as TexasTDI also pointed out here. SO... 10K miles down, 50K miles to go. THEN TEAR THE ENGINE DOWN and post a photo of the rings. Till then, the jury's still out.

Andy Hecker
San Antonio

quote:

Sorry Bob - You're answering a question, but it's not MY question. I didn't say a thing about the turbo - the issue is with the rings as TexasTDI also pointed out here. SO... 10K miles down, 50K miles to go. THEN TEAR THE ENGINE DOWN and post a photo of the rings. Till then, the jury's still out.

Andy Hecker
San Antonio [/QB]

Man you and TexasTDI are like a couple of sheep.

Baaaaaa! Baaaaaa!

VW says synthetic only so that all I'm going to baaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

The funny thing in all this, is TexasTDI's use of 15w40 when VW says 5w40. So he follows some factory specs and not others, and then has the gall to call out someone else for using a blend that appears to work well in this engine?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

VWoA says use a 5w-40 oil because that viscosity is a "one oil fits all climates" oil. Most people today are too ignorant to decide for themselves what viscosity they need for their particular climate. In otherwords, VWoA is just following the CYA policy.

I live in a very hot climate. 100+F in the summer. Winters barely below freezing. So 15w-40 is the right viscosity for MY climate. I don't need the cold cranking capabilities of a 5w-XX oil. That's why I don't use a 5w-40 or 5w-30 oil like VWoA recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back