Amsoil in Dodge P/U - 329,148 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering becoming an Amsoil Dealer when the guy showed me this analysis. It definetly helped me make my decision. Can you see why?
I run a business doing on-site oil changes and see vehicles/oil in all kinds of conditions. After finding this board I am considering doing some samples just out of curiosity. The worst I've seen so far is a Ford 300-6 that went 18,000 miles on dino oil. I squezzed out about a quart of the black stuff. People do amazing things to company vehicles.
Here's ths results for the Dodge. I just thought some may find this interesting.

'94 Dodge Cummins/250/PU
Initial Fill Amsoil HDD 5W30, Amsoil Full Flow/Bypass Kit
Full Flows Changed @ 25,000 mi/ Bypass @ 50,000mi
Topped off with AME 15W40 more recently
miles on unit- 332,600
miles on oil 329,148
Analysis performed by CTC

Iron, 76
Chromium 0
Lead 22
Copper 4
Tin 6
Aluminum 9
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 5
Boron 1
Sodium 0
Magnesium 321
Calcium 3792
Barium 219
Phosphorus 1056
Zinc 1354
Moly 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0
Fuel Vis@100c 12.54
Water 0
Soot/Solids .3
TAN 3.84
TBN 8.41

By the way, many of these miles were with the truck completely loaded with oil going from the warehouse to deliveries across the country.
Adam

It demonstates to receive premium performance from a premium priced oil, by-pass filtration must be used. Based on UOA from the Cummins 5.9L diesels, they're clean running engines.

I know the stock sump capacity on these engines is at least 10 quarts. I'm wondering how much volume of the 15W-40 make-up oil was added to the 5W-30 on this sample?

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:
It demonstates to receive premium performance from a premium priced oil, by-pass filtration must be used.

I think not, 20,000 mile oil changes with 10K filter changes are pretty easy to do with Amsoil AME and SDF filter. I know several folks that are doing this with PSD's. I would assume that the cummins could do it to.

The Cummins engine is a very nice low wearing engine. Considered the top engine in a diesel used in pickups. The sheet metal around it has issues, as do the other 2 brands.

MS Sparks, I am not discounting the fact that a 99 and up PSD can go 20K on Amsoil with filter changes as you indicated. But we are talking of not removing the drain plug for 300K miles. That is 280K miles longer. Don't discount that this is achievable ONLY with a bypass. Isn't it ironic that the numbers on this truck are as good or better that alot of the analysis on gas engines run 3-5K. Maybe, just maybe, a bypass filter does work and is the real key to extended drains, and the brand of oil and FF are secondary considerations. JMO

Bypass filters definitely work, but people like me won't use them because of a few reasons. One, I'm not mechanical enough to put one on, two, I worry about leaks, and three, I trade cars often. I also tend to own cars with very crowded engine bays. Take a look under the hood of an LT1 Firebird and see what I mean.

Pat,
I agree with your reasoning and good points. Cost is not prohibitive though, leaks are not really a problem with today's hoses and fittings. Tight engine compts. are a reality and can require extensive ingenuity to install one. If you trade vehicles alot as you do you still can pay for it with saved oil and move it to your new vehicle. That is the advantage of a single bypass.
offtopic.gif

I hate to address this point, but a blown/dusted engine under warranty can be a problem if you have any after market items on the engine. I personally do not modify/alter/add chips/or change the engine/trans/air cleaner in any form under warranty/or extended warranty. JMO

Amsoil's S3000 5w-30 HD could be the best oil you can buy, among all oils. I've yet to see a bad report with this oil, even in gas engines.

Adam,

I think Amsoil owes you some free oil (at least!) to use your report in their testimonials. That is a seriously good report!

One has to also include the variables of the large sumps, replacement oil from changing filters, both FF and BP. Then we have some topoff from a 15W40 oil whose quantity we don't know.

As someone else stated, it would be interesting to see a good dino oil or blend for the same mileage and engine.

OK, I got the scoop on the make up oil for this engine. It took about a Gallon every 25000 miles, including topping off from filter replacement.

As for comparing to dino oil, it might would be possible. Only because there would be so much make-up to be added you would always have a good amount of fresh oil in there. Keep in mind, Rotella TBN is 8.5 in the bottle so how often would YOU be doing the analysis?

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back