29000 miles on delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
CONTINUATION OF THE I'M SO CONFUSED TOPIC
THERE WERE 4 GALLONS OF MAKEUP OIL ON THE LAST ANALYSIS(ONE AFTER LAST SAMPLE, 2 GALLONS FOR FILTER CHANGE, AND 1 ABOUT 1000 MILES BEFORE THE LAST SAMPLE WAS TAKEN). IT HAS 11 GALLON CAPACITY.
14245 MILES 28999 MILES

ALUM 3 4
CHROMIUM 5 3
COPPER 11 10
IRON 20 17
LEAD 3 2
TIN 0 3
SILICON 9 7
POTASSIUM 16 10
SODIUM 6 70(ABNORMAL)
OXIDATION VISC@100 13.7 13.8
TBN 9.1 8.3
SAE 43 43
SOOT 0.9 1.4

THEY SAID THE OIL LOOKS GOOD BUT RECOMENDED RETESTING AT 40,000. SOUNDS LIKE THAT MIGHT BE ALL I'LL GET OUT OF THIS OIL. FROM THE LAST POST IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS CLEANING THE ENGINE. SINCE THIS IS MY FIRST FILL WITH DELVAC 1 WILL LATER CHANGES LAST LONGER. THIS OIL HAS TO LAST AT LEAST 60,000 TO BE COST EFFECTIVE.

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:
Where do you buy the Delvac 1 and how much does it cost? Thanks.

You should be able to find M1 Delvac 5W40 at your local wal-Mart and it sells for 36.97 (Cdn)for a 4lt jugg.
Jean

[ May 11, 2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: 2K2AcuraTL ]

I GET THE OIL FROM A EXXON MOBILE DISTRIBUTOR IN HOUSTON. IT COSTS ABOUT $21 OR $22 A GALLON. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT THEIR NAME AND PHONE NUMBER. THIS IS MY FIRST RUN WITH SYNTHETIC. BEFORE THIS I RAN THE DELVAC 1300.

TRUCKS WITH BYPASS FILTERS DO RUN 100,000 MILES ON THE OIL. THE ONLY QUESTION NOW IS: WILL MINE????? I'LL BE PRETTY HAPPY IF IT WILL CONSISTANTLY GO 60,000 MILES. I FIGURE THATS CLOSE TO THE BREAK EVEN POINT. I'LL GIVE IT A COUPLE MORE FILLS TO FIND OUT.

COOLANT LEAK!!!! DOH DOH DOH.

THE ANTIFREEZE IS ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD.. ITS BEEN ON MY PRIORITY TO DO LIST FOR A MONTH OR TWO.

DOES SODIUM USUALLY SHOW UP BEFORE THE GLYCOL??
SHOULD I GO BACK TO DYNO OIL AT THE NEXT CHANGE UNTIL I GET THIS RESOLVED?? I SURE WOULD HATE TO DUMP $250 WORTH OF OIL BECAUSE OF ANTIFREEZE CONTAMINATION.(OOUUUCHH) WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE PLACES IT COULD BE LEAKING FROM?? COULD IT BE THE GEAR DRIVEN WATER PUMP??

Duramax

There are lots of places sodium can come from. The inhibitors in the coolant is one of the most common sources. Also it can come from pressure washing was a sodium containing soap, ingestion of salt spray from the ocean or salted roads, and some oil additives.

My experience has been that sodium usually appears before the glycol, although sometimes the glycol never tests positive because if there is a leak into the combustion chamber it gets burned and never enters the oil. The sodium enters as a ash on the cylinder walls.

As for leaks you could have a bad head gasket, cracked head, cracked block, or holes in your liners due to electrolysis. Have you been adding your cooling system inhibitor at the recommended interval? It is absolutely essential for diesel engines and you will pay big time if you don't. One of the most common sources is a water pump seal. Many waterpumps have a weep-hole on the underside of the waterpump. If this becomes plugged and the one of the seal starts to leak the coolant cannot drain and gets forced pasted the oil seal into the coolant.

My advice is to take another sample and see what it is showing. If there is no increase then continue to monitor. Make sure you mark on the sample label that you suspect coolant entry so the lab will be sure to do all the appropriate tests even though the screening tests are negative.

Good Luck

Stinky

Your engine looks solid to me and I do not think you have a coolant leak based on the results you shared here.

I suspect that the sodium is from your fresh oilfilter change. gasket grease and media has sodium components.

For a very small charge I can take the "CONFUSION" out of your extended drain D1 experiment.
wink.gif

I wonder about yor capacities as Scooby does, please confirm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back