Shell Rotella T SB 0w40 - 12300 km - 92 Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did Staveley say Steve?

The iron and chrome levels seem very high to me. Based on this one sample (which is not a good idea) I would say you went too far. By adding 2 liters these levels are diluted and appear lower than they actually are.

An exotic oil for an exotic car, eh.
tongue.gif

This is a 1992 Non-turbo 1.6 litre VW Golf running a WIX blue writing filter. Oil top up was 1 litre per 5000 km so I added 2 litres total. Oil was run from early December to early April. Temperatures were from -40C up to +10C. I plug my car in for half an hour when it is below -25C. Car is used for pizza delivery so it sees a lot of redlining, starting and stopping. Air filter has been removed half a dozen times for access to other engine components but it hasn't been changed. Previous oil change had same oil run for 7500 km. Before that Castrol 15w40 and Kendall 15w40 at 5000 km OCIs.

I will be putting in a higher geared transmission next week as my dad pulled some teeth out of reverse. This will reduce highway RPMS by 15% or more. I am hoping to get 15,000 km or more per OCI. Now running Esso XD-3 0w40 as it is even more exotic.
grin.gif

Detroit Diesel kit processed by Staveley Services of Burlington, Ontario.

Iron 121
Chromium 6
Lead 3
Copper 3
Tin 0
Aluminum 4
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 12
Boron 1
Sodium 2
Magnesium 10
Calcium 3061
Barium 0
Phosphorus 1033
Zinc 1528
Moly 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0
Fuel VIS@40C N/A
VIC@100C 14.63
Water 0%
Soot/Solids 2.4%/wt
Glycol NEG
TBN 6.03
SAE 40

How is she doing? Can I go further?

Thanks, Steve

SP:
All they said was, "Results of test performed indicate no corrective action required." What surprises me even more that their records show my OCI as 2300 km instead of 12300 km. I guess 25 bucks doesn't get a very indepth analysis.

One thing I should mention is that the manual states a recommended 12,500 km on oil manufactured in 1992. This car just broke 400,000 km when the oil was sampled. Back in November I found that my compression was 360 PSI across the board so it is below overhaul spec (400 PSI worn out, 500 PSI new) but there is a lot less blowby now. I am guessing that the iron is coming from my valvetrain because the lifters pound pretty bad during the winter. This only happens for the first run up to 50 km/hr on cold oil but it sounds pretty bad.

My sampling method wasn't the best either. I think I only let out a cup of oil before I took my sample. Atleast the engine was good and hot, I could barely get the oil filter off as it was hurting me.
lol.gif

Thank you for your input, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back