1997 Ford Truck w/turbo 100K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is NOT my truck. This was posted on one of the diesel sites that I frequent.

1997 Ford PSD 4X4, K+N Air filter, US Gear Chip, Using Schaeffer's Neutra fuel additive. Schaeffers 15W40 7000 series, first installed with 5K total miles on the truck and used since. No bypass filter. Owner lives in Il. so it sees plenty of cold weather operation.

Total miles on truck at sample---100,000,
Total miles on oil---------------10,000,

Wear metals
Copper------4
Iron--------26
Chromium----0
Aluminum----3
Lead--------4

Additives
Moly--------154
Phos--------971
Zinc--------1211
Mag---------11
Calcium-----3874

Silicon-----10 (This is with a K+N air filter)

vis @100C---12.79

Sulfur------12
Oxidation---6
Nitration---10
Soot--------0
All others were 0, no TBN test.

Recommend that you increase your change interval to 12,500 miles.

Total miles on truck today---132,000

[ December 26, 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Looks like it thinned out a bit to almost a 30wt, but the other numbers look very good, especially considering the cold weather operation. The oxidation and nitration numbers are awesome!

Thanks Patman. I thought the Silicon number was good considering the amount of miles and the K+N filter. This engine ingests huge amounts of air and the filter appears to be doing a good job.

Schaeffers is one hell of an oil. I never heard of them before joining this site, but there oil really seems to hold up extremely well. I'm impressed with it. I wonder how the detergency is for keeping an engine clean? That is one area Amsoil shines.

Buster wrote:
"That is one area Amsoil shines."

Fact or fiction ?
wink.gif
Have you seen this first hand ?
smile.gif

Vetteman,Thanks for the post . I bet that motor cranks when cold better than some do whatcha think ?
offtopic.gif

What was the name of the first diesel motor put in the Ford PU's back in the 80's?

No I haven't but based on Bob's test of seal cleaning abilities, Amsoil proved best. Mobil wasn't too far behind. If Amsoil has higher levels of esters, it should clean better. When I switched over to Amsoil after thousands of miles with Mobil 1, the oil became dark fairly quick. Not real dark, but darker then normal. My assumption is that it was cleaning up what "little" Mobil 1 left behind. Could be just how the oil is. I'm sure my engine is very clean from using Mobil 1. M1 is known to keep engines very clean too.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/sealconditioning/sealcondtioning.htm
BTW, I never asked whether or not the M1 SS formulation cleans less then Trisythetic.
wink.gif

[ December 29, 2002, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Was this K&N a cone style filter or panel style?

The 97 uses the large oval type filter. It looks like two flat panels with rounded edges. It has alot of surface area that way. It sure was better than Ford's new flat panel design that can't seal properly in alot of cases.

In my 01 truck the Schaeffer's 15W40 starts good in the winter, but the lowest temp has been in the teens. I would not hesitate to use this in my gas engine if I were inclined toward 40 weight oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back