Delvac 1 results in 2002 Jetta TDI(diesel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys heres my first test of the tdi. Wetterauer chip installed at 20k, I run the Oilguard bypass filter, b100 fuel exclusively aside from 2 tanks of b20 during this 10k.
Oil analyzers/ctc lab
Delvac 1
10,200 miles on oil
30,200 on vehicle at test time.

Spectrochemical
Iron 43
chromium 3
lead 1
copper 6
tin 9 or possibly 0, the fax is a bit blurry, but I believe 9
aluminum 5
nickel 1
silver again, 9 or 0, looks like a 9
Silicon 7 (stock paper filter)
boron 106
sodium 2
magnesium 550
calcium 2544
barium 0
phosphorus 1233
zinc 1317
moly, titanium, vanadium, and potassium all zero.

Physical Properties
fuel vis @100c 14.13
water 0
soot/solids 0.9%
Glycol negative

Additional tests
TBN 7.21
Oxid 11.0
nitr 13.0
f-soot 0.27

Ok Oil gurus, have at it...please let me know what you think. Whats the difference between f-soot and soot/solids? Do we think the tbn really depleted all the way to 7.2 or is this the characteristic problem with CTC's analyses, as has been mentioned previously.....?

I thought the bypass filters were supposed to virtually eliminate engine wear, yet the iron looks awfully high.

NO offense lightman but why don't you ask those questions of the lab that you paid to analyze the oil ?

Terry, no offense, but what is this site for?
rolleyes.gif

Regarding my CTC lab question, it arose because Ted/tooslick had mentioned before that CTC's tbn ratings are generally lower than oil analyzers', so if I was to be comparing tbn results, expect a bit lower from CTC's lab.

Patman, do you really think iron is that high at 43 after 10,200 miles on a chipped car?

I should also note, that b100 biodiesel fuel was used the whole time, aside from two tanks of b20...in case ppl missed that..

To others who may actually have helpful responses...please do
smile.gif

I wasn't being smart or attempting to jerk you Lightman, I just can't believe that a service would not inform its customers more than that.
dunno.gif

I'm outta this string.
pat.gif

No hard feelings going around, ppl relax
smile.gif
. Anyway, I figure ppl here have a good opinion as they've seen a lot of results. Also there are a few experts that do lurk around this forum. I've heard back from a few ppl and it seems the b100 has possibly diluted the fuel a bit.

Apparently also, CTC's results(according to tooslick) have generally been showing about 1.5 pts lower than Oil analyzers results.

I would use a different lab entirely if I hadn't of bought 10 kits a few years ago from OA. Now they sub out their lab work to CTC, which takes forever. They had my sample nearly two weeks before I got results... I agree, the service is poor, but I've already paid unfortunately. It was pretty good service when OA was doing them a while back...

I'm surprised by the total number of solids in your sample based upon having a bypass filter. I'm not familiar with Diesel oil results however. This looks like a case where a professional opinion may be warranted.

So I lied, I'm back.
gr_eek2.gif

F soot is fuel soot for the diesel. Soot solids is a combined reading of oil solids due to nitration and coking. Those look average to slightly on the clean side. Is the EGR gumming up or remaining clean using the BD?

Air filtration is excellent.

TBN is fine and normal, depends on what method they use to titrate the oil, don't worry about the value but compare to next sample.

Every value is normal for a stock TDI so with you having the chip changing things and burning a little hotter it looks very good.

The wear metal generation at approx. 4 ppm per 1000 miles is normal for these engines.

Silver should be 0 not 9 and if its 9 I would think the coating on the turbo is coming off really early on. Check with CTC once you see the hard copy if it shows any silver.

Tin should be 1 or 0.

Change oil,Full flow,change Bypass filter and take oil drain to 15,000, provided no problems with fuel delivery etc.

Now I feel better
fruit.gif

Thanks much terry for your reply. I sure hope those are 0s and not 9's...

Thanks for the explanation of the f-soot and solids difference. Both of these look pretty low compared to results I've seen on chipped cars, which I guess I attribute to the bypass filter...., kinda cancelling out the extra wear type effects the chip is giving. I'll check with CTC regarding the two numbers.

Dunno how this affects people's views, but I should note that my driving style is about 1000miles/week for work, 85mph highway driving 80% of the time....so this run of oil definitely didn't sit for any extended periods. Dunno if that means anything but thought i'd throw it out there!
smile.gif

[ December 17, 2002, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

offtopic.gif
No harm no foul, I'm used to being teased by my kids about my lack of 'puter PC savvy
lol.gif
Skins thick like my head.

I just beat them because I can !
twak.gif
Just kidding.....
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Lightman:

Patman, do you really think iron is that high at 43 after 10,200 miles on a chipped car?

Normally I would say no, but with a bypass filter I thought that you would normally only see single digits for all wear metals, even if you ran the oil for 20-25k.

Lightman,
Thank you for posting your analysis on the forum. Thats why Bob set this section up to post and ask questions that may concern you or for others to see what might have been missed ,in this case the type engine and how it's driven along with possible previous oil getting in the way of the best run of this oil,,whatever the previous oil might have been I suspect a dino,of course could be wrong.
Too bad the post got derailed but for what it's worth it shows the rings are a harder material than the block and as the block seasons the iron will come down a bit imo with a but,it is driven pretty hard and it looks like a good result for the type motor and how it's driven. That motor is still young yet and the rings look to be seated.Quite a feet for a chrome ring ;)Also remember 100ppm of FE is still OK if not looking for a perfect world.It looks like the oil held the Fe down better than most could have

What was the previous oil used ? If not Delvac that could have knocked the TBN down imo

For consistency with the next I suggest using the same Lab
EDIT:
I see you have purchased multiple kits already. Thats cool,they will get faster as time goes along but really that was not too long to get a report back imo. It was the Holidays,lotsa mail ect
cheers.gif

[ December 18, 2002, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Interesting-calcium is high like Mobil 1 (with supersyn), and no moly or barium like the old TriSyn. I wonder if Delvac 1 will start adding Moly (seems like they should for Diesel). If not-why not??
dunno.gif
Anyone know??

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Interesting-calcium is high like Mobil 1 (with supersyn), and no moly or barium like the old TriSyn. I wonder if Delvac 1 will start adding Moly (seems like they should for Diesel). If not-why not??
dunno.gif
Anyone know??

I am not sure why a good FM is not in the forumulation. It seems a motor firing at about 17.1 compression un boosted could use all it could muster from a oil. Maybe the JASO M/C Spec ? and whoever the Diesel engine maker who does not like Mo have a part in this although I think the boron is a diffent type that is a doule duty additive and gives some FM protection? Dunno but some 132 added maybe ?
wink.gif

Is the CAT branded DelVac 1 the exact same as the Mobil Delvac 1 ???????????

[ December 18, 2002, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

yes cat branded delvac is the same as delvac 1. No nothing BUT delvac 1 was ever run in this engine. The xmas mail thing has nothing to do with why it took so long to get my results, they had my sample sitting there for almost two weeks, and fax results....no mail time needed. They are slow because oil analyzers has transitioned all of their analysis from in house over to cleveland technical center, as they were swamped at OA.
As far as diesel oils go, I dont believe moly or friction modifiers are a good thing, but I can't tell you why. There was a good post in the fuels/lubricants section going about moly in diesel oils, but I didn't really read too much of it.

One thing many may have overlooked, although I mentioned it earlier, is that this 10,000 miles was run completely on b100 biodiesel fuel. This characteristically thins out the oil a bit from fuel dilution, as well as CTC's characteristically known for generally lower tbn ratings than other popular labs. I'm not worried about these results as they look good for a car thats driven really hard.....many times during this 10k I went 90-95mph for 30-45minutes (shots across alligator alley) and at least average 80mph 80% of my driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back