Analysis on Schaeffer 7000 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a analysis that I got from another schaeffer rep., so I can't answer anything about filter changes, add oil, etc. Just thought these were some pretty good numbers. and wanted to get some opinons from my friends here !!
smile.gif

Mack 613 over the road truck
223,617 total miles
65,952 miles on oil
Oil used was Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 15W40(#700)
N= Normal
A= Abnormal
S= Severe
X= Extra Severe
copper 24 -N (under 40 normal)
Iron 62 -N (under 100 normal)
Alum 2 -N (under 40 normal)
Lead 35 -N (under 100 normal)
moly 137 - N
Phosphorus 1262 -N
Zinc 1342 -N
Magnesium 232 -N
Calcium 3714 -N
Silicon 8 -N
Vis 14.38
SAE 40 - N
*Measures % Allowable Must Not Exceed 100 %
Sulfur 41 -N
Oxidation 15 -N
Nitration 10 -N
Soot - 39 -N
TBN - 5.5 (starts @10.0)
All other is 0

Comments ! please
confused.gif

Holy cow, that is an incredible analysis for that many miles! The silicon level is amazingly low and so is the oxidation and nitration. Pretty strong TBN too, for so many miles.

Wow.

Does Tim Mills work on Sunday and what is his phone number?

Just kidding called him on Friday and expect a trip to Sulfur Springs next month and will just make the rounds and pick up my Schaeffers 10w-30 and 15w-40 Supreme 7000, Simplex Hydro\transmission universal tractor fluid and 80-90 gear oil while in the area.

Almost too good huh, I have many customers that are going 18,000 to 28,000 miles in dump trucks, but none of mine is going this far. I was trying to understand how this one was doing it? I guess because it's a long distance hauler, good driver, etc. (guessing) I wish I knew how many times the oil filter was changed? and how much add oil was used.
rolleyes.gif

I have seen with the Mack trucks that they are able to extend more than most!
But I agree...these are good numbers

[ August 11, 2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: David ]

David,

Looks very good for long mileage. This shows you what a good, non-economical additive package can do for a blend.

One question:
Why was the Moly considered normal? Looks like it was rather low, unless cylinder was plated-up. I would have thought there would have been ample reserve Moly. Do you happen to know the Moly level for a virgin sample?

Now with that comment, one also has to realize that this is not the only organometallic AF/FM additive in Schaeffer's.

Why was the Moly considered normal? Looks like it was rather low, unless cylinder was plated-up. I would have thought there would have been ample reserve Moly. Do you happen to know the Moly level for a virgin sample?

Mola,

This is a lot of Mo reserve for Schaeffers. The average virgin sample levels of Mo in Schaeffers is between 170-199ppms. In a normal engine that has just started to use schaeffers oil, the plating process will normally result in about 69-129ppms depending on the engine, driver and other basic factors.

This is one of the other points I have tried to impress on some that Schaeffers has a blend of penetro in with this type of moly as you have suggested has a two fold function of antioxidant and FM-ep. Unlike most that have moly, they usually have a heavy amount which appears to be an overkill as you see in many analysis where they have 100's of ppm of Moly left at the end of their oil drain interval. This really isn't bad, but this appears to be showing a slightly different results compared to the type of moly in schaeffers., which may have somthing to do with the way the chemical bonding is designed in shaeffers.

Not really sure about the bonding, but this is what has my interest up as I keep seeing a difference in how moly is acting in one oil and how it is works in Schaeffers. The excessive amount appears to serve no purpose and has shown not to enhance wear reduction any more than Schaeffers does. These are just a couple of little things I noticed.

This is one of the reasons I'm going with the Scheaffers straight dino and not using their blend as I want to see the difference in the performance between the two.

Bob, when you go to the dino version, what viscosity will you be running, and why did you
choose that particular viscosity?

I was thinking about going back to a 10w30 but for the purpose of this little experiment, I'm going to use the molybond 15w40 to stay consistant with my previous oil analysis. I'm going to cut short my drain intervals so I can get both done in less than a year on the same car.

I'm approaching 4,000 miles on this oil since my trip to texas, so I'll see if I want to stretch it out to 5k or not.

I'm kinda leaning to the 4k as right now I'm questioning filter situations. I'm a little concern about the m1 filter able to go 10k. From what I see, there may be something to this and I'm starting to get an idea of a neat little oil filter experiment which I might do. Anyway, off topic here, hope that answers your question.

It might be off topic for this forum, but I am definitely interested in that oil filter experiment you are doing! Tell us more!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back