3800 SII LIM gasket pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I installed the new GM aluminum framed LIM gaskets & Dorman UIM last weekend on my friends '99 LeSabre. The car has 123,000 miles and I thought it was time for a look see.

Its coolant was a sick looking mix of green and dex. The dex had began to gell and took many flushings before we felt it was safe to add the new Mopar Long Life ( G-05 ).

The plstic coolant elbows were replaced as well as both upper and lower radiator hoses.

The 2005 FelPro LIM gasket is shown above for comparison.

-

-

That's about what mine looked like at 110,000 and original DEX-COOL. I used the new GM aluminum ones, I'd be worried if those plastic ones are still in there.

Do you have the narrowed EGR tube? If not I would leave the EGR unplugged until you are sure all of the air is out of the system.

Hi

Starting in mid '99, the 3800s got the narrowed egr chimney of which this one has it.

The system was bled and is now stabilized.

What does unplugging the egr do with the possible exceptions of throwing a code and getting worse mpg?

My own car , using the L26 UIM is now at 50k mi on the plastic FelPro LIMs.

Folks at bonneville club think blocking the EGR can lead to burnt valves, apparantly based on the 92 MY series I lacking EGR. FWIW.

There is talk of an EGR spacer/insulator as well.

Hi

The Series III's use an aluminum UIM, so that issue is surely gone. As of 2006, they also use the aluminum LIM gaskets as well. I checked out a GP and spotted the metal frame.

My own 3800 Series II doesnt have a egr chimney problem
cheers.gif

-

Hi

GM as its latest is finally aluminum framed. I dontthink that the plastic plays well with time, heat and OAT coolant.

My plastic FelPros that I installed last summer will have 100,000 mi on them summer '07 and will be changed at that time with the GM ones.

It will be interesting to see how the plastic fel pros have fared with G-05 coolant.

quote:

Originally posted by lght1:
Hi

Starting in mid '99, the 3800s got the narrowed egr chimney of which this one has it.

The system was bled and is now stabilized.

What does unplugging the egr do with the possible exceptions of throwing a code and getting worse mpg?

My own car , using the L26 UIM is now at 50k mi on the plastic FelPro LIMs.

The EGR problem, in my experience, is directly related to air pockets in the upper intake. Since this part of the system is highest, it is difficult to get all of the air out of right away. Unplugging the EGR will help a problem from developing while you get the air out.

It's a simple, no drawbacks precaution.

You mentioned on another forum that you have been using LC20 in this engine, how clean were the heads when you removed the valve covers?

Hi

I have never had any issues after doing one of these, and several now have over 100,000 on the repair.

I have a dorman which has 100,000 miles on it over 2 yrs time. The egr chimney is pristine in it. Just plug and play.

The v/c gasket revealed very clean heads... no varnish at all that i could see with only minimal discoloration of the inside of the cover it self.

I like LC-20.

I had a dorman on mine too, for about a week. EGR chimney was completely torched out in one week, the stock one did the same thing after changing the lower gaskets. It was fine for 100,000 miles before that.

Hi

Hmm... never heard of a dorman failing before.

Prior to '99, the chimney was a larger diameter, but even so, mine went 100,000 miles and is in pristine condition.

Here's the time line:

108,000 miles - replaced lower intake, cracked upper plenum due to incorrect torque spec. EGR chimney was OK.

108500 miles - one week later I replaced it again with a used dorman. EGR chimney was toast. Bolts were bent and I wasn't happy with a couple of them on the pass. side.

109000 miles - another week goes by I replaced it with a used stock manifold. EGR chimney was again toast. This time I would try not plugging in the EGR for one day.

112,000 miles - replaced the lower intake gaskets again with aluminum ones, EGR chimney was OK this time. Even though it was good I decided to make a smaller chimney, about 5/8" in diameter. It now constantly sets a code for EGR operation.
rolleyes.gif

So like I said unplugging the EGR is a no brainer for me. I guess soon I'll have to pull it apart again.

Hi

What I call the "chimney" is actually the LIM EGR "stack". This is the pipe that runs up through the UIM and vents in the intake air stream.

Are you talking about the pipe as well or the UIM orifice which the stack pass through to vent?

In my case, the dorman was pristine after 100,000 miles of use. Absolutely no sign of degradation of the plastic.

The new Dormans are shipped with a replacement stack which is meant to replace 98 and older LIM chimneys/stacks.

You may try cleaning the EGR valve it self as the pipe should not set a code on its own. Insufficient egr is liely caused by either malfunctioning valve or the pipe from the valve to the lim. They have been known to become plugged on occaision.

I am running the L26 aluminum UIM, but due to mpg issues, may go back to a Dorman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back