$10 Siphon Pump vs. $50 Fluid Extractor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of getting some sort of device to assist in the changing of transmission fluid, coolant, and perhaps oil. I have read talk of the usefulness of the larger fluid extractors, but I have not seen anything discussing the usefulness--or lack thereof--of the cheap siphon pumps available just about anywhere. Can anyone tell me if the more expensive apparatus is significantly better?

This:
 -

vs.

This:
 -

Thanks for any input.

--Jim

Gee, No one has posted on your question, so I'll say this.

The $10. pump will work fine, that's what I use. Keep your empty gal. jugs handy, as you drain, to keep the mess reasonably to a minimum.

It does allow for more frequent fluid changes because it makes things easier, generally.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks, Pastmaster! I actually went and picked up the cheapie to try it out, and it was helpful for the coolant reservoir and top part of the radiator. Seems like it will also work fine for the transmission, but I didn't get to that this weekend.

I appreciate your reply!

--Jim

I got mine at Wal*Mart for $7.89, tax included. I've also seen them behind the counter at AutoZone for about $12. I'm sure a lot of other places carry them, but that's where I've seen the one I posted.

The larger one, I have only seen online, but I imagine they could be found at a boat and marine store. I believe they are commonly used for oil changes in watercraft.

Those suction pumps are pretty flimsy. They come apart really easy and are a pain to clean up. I use one on my boat to change out the oil and believe me, it's a pita. You also got to make sure you have enough hose to get into the oil or transmission fluid drain. If the hose is plastic, make sure not to use it when the fluid is hot, or it will melt. You'll have to get nylon tubing for that.

I bought a similar pump from Harbor Freight Tools for $4.99. I plan on using it to replace my diff fluid in my Honda.

I bought one of these venturi vacuum pumps from Harbor Freight originally to evacuate my a/c system in my car. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3952
I have recently used it pump transmission fluid, ps fluid and to bleed brakes. I rigged up a 1 gallon glass pickle jar and attached two hose barbs and hoses to the lid. I attach one hose to the vacuum pump and the other to the brake bleeder valve or whatever fluid I'm pumping, The fluid is tranferred into the jar. I really like it for bleeding brakes.

inspekor, that is neat! It's another way to do something better and cheaper=Yankee Ingenuity!
patriot.gif

Just got a new Harbor Frieght Catalog today too! I just found another way to spend money.
cheers.gif

I have one of the larger fluid extractors, that came from Griot's Garage, and it's very handy. I recieved it as a gift, and probably wouldn't have spent the money vs a smaller pump, but I like it. It makes changing any type of fluid very easy, clean and neat.

It's especially good for snaking down the ATF fill tube and sucking out the fluid. After an initial filter change, that's how I change the ATF now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back