The solution to your leaking intake manifold gaskets!!! 3100/3400 owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I would share my fix being the amount of problems people have. I replaced the factory gasket with fel-pro perma dry gaskets. They are a metal/rubber gasket as oposed to the factory. If you take yours to the dealer they will but an upgraded version of the same junk in. Theses are great. The quality differance between these gaskets and the stock are amazing. Advance Auto sells them. I paid $100 for the kit. Good Stuff!!
Link to read more:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/10/14/252583.html

I did the job in a day on my 3100 V6. You will need to pick up a new fuel line inlet to injector rail seal from a dealership. Other than that basic tools. The manual said to take off the injector rail, however we did the job with them on which saved time.

I hope this will be of use to someone.
grin.gif

These gaskets are built very well. I doubt those who use them will ever have the problems related to this gasket again.

I've seen these and heard great things about this 'problem-solver' gasket from the Grand Am forum that I frequent. There is also a newer version made by GM, but the new GM one doesn't seem to be holding up any better than the old ones, but I would definitely go with Fel-pro with what I have heard about them.

I will prob do this with my wifes malibu 3100 series motor but as of yet I have seen no coolant loss in that motor. I will have to check it and see. if its low I will take it in to the dealership and have them change it. its still under warranty. will they install the fel-pro if you provide it over the GM crap or will they charge you for installing it?

GM will replace your gaskets with the junk. They have an updated version that is better than whats in your engine, but no way near the quality the fel-prosa are. In my case I didn't wait till they leaked to get rid of them. Once they start leaking theres trouble. Antifreeze in oil, even small amounds will begin eating away at your bearings and such. Anyone who has these cars with the problem gaskets, and plans on keeping thier car for years, this is an investiment that will be well worth it.

I'm all for making the updated fix on on a 3.1 or the 3.8 but see UOA as a reasonable approach to determining when and if you need to make the repair. Those testing seem to catch the leak while copper and lead levels are are still
relatively good for the coolant levels experienced. Probably depends on whether you do the labor or GM does it on warranty verses
4-5 hours mechanic hourly rates you pay yourself.

I agree with Haccoofficer, there was an oil interval where I knew exactly where the coolant level was while my car was parked in the garage when cold and it was in the exact place when I changed the oil yet my wear metals and coolant traces looked ugly on the UOA.

m2200b, don't forget the 3.4, it's essentially the same as the 3.1 but with a bigger bore and a nicer looking top to it.

Having done this fix several times on different vehicles, I've always used the Fel-pro gasket set. It's good quality.

One other thing that is not usually mentioned is that those lower intake bolts are too small. I think that the combination of the inferior OEM gasket and the lower torque fasteners (which have been loose in every case) equals an intake leak.

I would also suggest checking the fuel rail connection before installed the upper plenum and related stuff. If it's leaking you have to take that stuff back off. After connecting the fuel rail (using a new o-ring) and installing the injectors back into place (also with new o-rings) turn the ignition on to let the fuel pump prime the system.

For the 3800 Fel-pro still makes the plastic style, but GM offeres metal ones. Has anyone checked to see if GM has updated their's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back