How Do I Jump-Start a Car If I Have a Positive Terminal Port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery in my 2001 GM vehicle is mounted under the back seat. Therefore, I have only a 'positive terminal port" under my hood ( it is a remote positive-post located under a red cap with the "+' symbol and attached to my fuse/bus box.)The "How To Jump Start Another Car" instructions in my owner's manual tell me to attach the jumper cables on my car (the 'good battery") to my positive and negative terminals. Only one problem . I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE MY "NEGATIVE" TERMINAL IS AND THE OWNER'S MANUAL IS SILENT ON THIS ISSUE.

Am I missing something super obvious ? (The manual says to never try to jump-start a car using the rear-mounted battery)

The alternator's metal frame or it's mounting bracket is often a good place to connect the negative jumper cable.

That's my location of choice. Any good spot on the engine works well (the convenient "hoist point").

I know that the safest jumping procedure is " positive to positive, negative to metal". HOWEVER, my manual ( and pratical experience) tells me that it is the negative cable running to the DEAD battery needs to be grounded to an unpainted metal surface. It is my understanding that the "good" battery must be connected via the jumpers to both poles. Will a + to + /metal to metal jump work?

yes. the reason you use metal for (at least) one contact is that the last connection made will spark. You don't want this spark to happen around the battery as the gases can explode.

If you do both negatives on something metal (unpainted), you will be fine. Still connect them last.

I think some Saturns are that way. The 2006 DTS also has the battery mounted elsewhere. The Escalade, for some strange reason, has a remote positive post, despite the fact that the positive post is readily accessible.
dunno.gif

My mom's Malibu Classic has a remote positive post.

I thought a remote positive post was common with side-terminal batteries (which GM likes to use)...every GM vehicle that I can recall, with a side-terminal battery, has one.

I have a 2001 Buick LeSabre Custom. The battery is mounted under the rear seat (passenger side). My main (high amp.) fuse busses are located under the rear seat (drivers side). The rear seat comes out very easily ( with a little practice.)

This arrangement is actually advantageous in certain respects. The battery stays nice and dry and clean, and I have more room under the hood (thus making it easier to work around the 3800 S-II engine). I just wish that there was a "remote negative post" too.

you don't need a "remote negative".. just hook the jumpers to any large piece of unpainted metal. it is a negative ground car, after all.

Your not supposed to hook up the cable to the negative battery post anyway. Just use any heavy piece of metal. The alternator bracket will work, something steel will probably work better. It's the same as any other car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back