O.K. to gap double platinum sparkplugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
A counter guy showed me a Bosch info sheet that said NOT to re-gap their platinum plug.

I recently purchased some "better" Motorcraft double platinum plugs that are about .010 too small.

Is it ok to adjust the gap without damaging the platinum coating??

Thank you.

It's okay if you know what you're doing. I've worked with pure Platinum. It is dead soft, softer that a lot of plastics I've worked with. If the gap is too small (as can happen if the plug gets dropped) you'll want to pry up on the inside of the plug to make it bigger. DON'T DO IT! If you try to spread the gap with a screwdriver you'll ruin the platinum discs. I'm guessing a better way would be to grab the electrode by the sides with a pair of pliers and bend it upward.

The reason the Bosch can't be regapped is that a normal civilian may crack the insulator. Of course they can be gapped up or down.
The double platinum Motorcraft plugs are excellent, and can be gapped as well. Don't force anything - just bend the side electrode carefully.

Last time I bought plugs you still had to gap the regular Bosch and Bosch Platinum but the Bosch"2" and Bosch"4" ere not supposed to be gapped due to their "unique" design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back