Who makes the best flare wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been up to my neck in brake problems for the last two weeks and I've been wondering who makes the best flare wrenches. I've got a set of generic ones that I'm afraid of using ever since one exploded.
shocked.gif
I've also got a couple MasterCraft (Canadian Tire brand) flare wrenches that seem weeker than the regular MasterCraft open end wrenches. I'm interested in THE BEST ones available. Does anybody make a set that have some kind of gate you can lock around the fitting? How about a set that has flat spots on them so you lock a pair of vice grips onto the sides of the jaws?

My method of attack doesn't include penetrating fluid unless I am getting prepared the night before because I'm impatient and couldn't possibly stand around watching it work. So, what I do is try a regular wrench. When it slips I try my flare wrench. After that fails I cut the line off at the fitting and pound a 6 point socket onto the fitting. The 6 point socket always works while wrenches do not. Brake lines are so cheap that I won't spend more than 5 minutes of my time trying to loosen the fittings.

Cheers, Steve

Snap-on, Proto, Mac, Matco, SK and Craftsman are all about the same. THe bigest difference is exterior shape,length and surface finish.

i have a set of sears/craftsmen. they seem to work pretty well. the heads are thicker to make up for the open end. i have used them in the past to remove/install oxygen sensors so it must be pretty durable.

try pb blaster. it seems to work a little faster than other penetrants.

The Snap-Ons are very good, but also very expensive. The Sears Craftsman Professional series, IMHO, would be the "best bang for the buck". I have a set of the Professional combination wrenches and would say they are as good if not better than what most tool companies sell.

-

I rarely have good luck removing old brake lines. They're made of steel that is dead soft. It's not always the threads that corrode and give problems, it's where the line goes through the nut that corrosion freezes the joint. I generously use antisieze to prepare the new joint.

Home Depot has Husky flarenut wrenches and they are good quality. Craftsman wrenches used to be made by Husky, I don't know what the situation is now. Grainger has Armstrong wrenches, they are good and a little less expensive than Proto.

I guess I'll save up for a couple Snap-On wrenches. A 10/11 mm and a 12/13 mm should cover all the vehicles I'll ever own. Drive/Ride Metric or walk.
tongue.gif
The 13 mm will also work as a 1/2" just in case (11 mm is 7/16"). hehehe

Thanks guys, Steve

I have a mix of Snap-On, Proto and Craftsman sockets and wrenches. Before I put a tool kit together I would buy a tool here and there for whatever, and found that working around machine tools that Snap-On seemed to hold up better than Craftsman. I guess the Snap On wrenches were made from better steel or were better tempered, as the wrenches were thinner from design and polishing. I couldn't afford full sets of Snap On wrenches so I ended up with Proto wrenches, Snap On sockets, and have filled out with Craftsman over the years. Craftsman holds up fine for home and auto use, and while their regular wrenches are probably the best buy, especially sets on clearance for half price, their full polish sets are also nice. I'd pick Craftsman flare nut wrenches, unless you can compare with Snap On, find a difference, and can justify the sometimes 10X difference in price.

srivett, no wonder flare nut wrenches dont work for you. you really need the right size or you are just going to round off the corners on soft metals. if its 1/2" use a 1/2".

^ Agree. There seems to be a lot of SAE brake line mixed into this metric world. Try both. In fact sometimes you have to file/square off a little bit and use the "next size down" hammered on there.

quote:

Originally posted by George7941:
Home Depot has Husky flarenut wrenches and they are good quality. Craftsman wrenches used to be made by Husky, I don't know what the situation is now. Grainger has Armstrong wrenches, they are good and a little less expensive than Proto.

Husky has never made any tools for Sears that I am aware of. Craftsman wrenchs still are, and have been for at least the past 15 years, made by a company call Danaher. IIRC, Danaher also makes many of Matco's tools.

I think that Husky is a product of Stanley Tools, who also happen to own Mac Tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back