Radiator Hose Replacement Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a preventative maintenance standpoint, when should radiator hoses (upper and lower) be changed ? I have 97,000 miles with the original hoses ( made by Gates). I check mine periodically for "sponginess" and cracking, and have observed no obvious problems. However, Murphy's Law being what it is, a hose failure will always occur at the worst possible time in the worst possible place.

I am going to change out my Dexcool at 120,000 (last changed at 60,000) and it would seem logical to change the hoses then. Is that pushing my luck?

I sold my 93 Explorer last year with 205,000 and the original hoses. I would have replaced them but they seemed like new until the end. No cracks, puffyness, deflation, hardening, leaking, weeping, nothing. I kept squeezing them periodically to see if they sounded "crunchy" but no. And I had a radiator replaced at about 170K or so and the shop did not say a peep about the hoses so they must have looked good inside. So I really don't know. I guess unhooking them and taking a look inside would let you know for sure, I never did bother.

I don't think most manufacturers list a replacement schedule, although Gates, in a self-serving manner (my opinion), suggests replacement every four years.
"A replacement interval of four years for all coolant carrying hoses -- especially the upper radiator, bypass and heater hoses -- can help prevent unexpected failure from ECD. The incidence of hose failure increases sharply after four years for most vehicles."

Here's the squeeze inspection methodology they recommend, very similar to how one would inspect Britney Spear's upper half:
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1022&location_id=541

Traditional inspection methods, per the Auto Club and Gates:
http://www.ouraaa.com/automotive/maintain/repair/hoses.html
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2833&location_id=3369

[ March 23, 2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

my father's 94 toyota previa has 186k and original belts and hoses.

Dealer maintained (so you would think they would want to sell belts and hoses), but they always claim theyre OK.

Better yet, my 83 MB 300D has its original radiator and heater hoses! 228k and the dealer hasnt suggested changing them.

JMH

quote:

I sold my 93 Explorer last year with 205,000 and the original hoses

Darn ..and I was hoping to play "top this"
frown.gif
grin.gif
OEM heater hoses sprung a leak at the nipple at about 163k ..and the upper rad hose had a pinhole at about 165k on my 92 Caravan ..the lower is OEM. The rad has been replaced due to the OEM plastic tank leaking. It has had several belts.

..but (now top this!!) ..I had my original brake fluid in until 2002 ...and no, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express
grin.gif

Besides the upper and lower hoses, I would also recommend to replace the by-pass hose, heater hose and the thermostat + o-ring. Cheap insurance.

This is not what I have been doing, but what about change conventional antifreeze every 2 years, and all 3 hoses every other change? With the poor track record of new thermostats, leave the old one in until it fails. Over 10-20 years, this isn't going cost as much as one tow. No burst hoses at a very bad time.

usually i have a water pump or radiator failure and just change the hoses/thermostat as the same time. never had a water pump go much beyond 100k w/o need replaced.

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
Why wouldn't you change the hoses every few years? What are they-about 10 bucks each?

I've always changed mine every 4-5 years.

I recently changed all the rubber coolant hoses on my 96 Corvette. About $150 for hoses with abig fat discount. Over $250 list.

The old hoses were original 8+ year old hoses. All looked good, none cracked when bent tight. I may replace them again in 8 years if I still have the car.

Don't buy brand-x hoses. They may not last as long as the several year old factory hoses already on your car
mad.gif
. Factory hoses, Gates, Goodyear, AC are generally good. I used all AC from a discount parts house except for 2 special hoses that had to come from GM. Got those 2 from an online GM dealer for about 60% of list.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
Why wouldn't you change the hoses every few years? What are they-about 10 bucks each?

I've always changed mine every 4-5 years.

I recently changed all the rubber coolant hoses on my 96 Corvette. About $150 for hoses with abig fat discount. Over $250 list.

The old hoses were original 8+ year old hoses. All looked good, none cracked when bent tight. I may replace them again in 8 years if I still have the car.

Don't buy brand-x hoses. They may not last as long as the several year old factory hoses already on your car
mad.gif
. Factory hoses, Gates, Goodyear, AC are generally good. I used all AC from a discount parts house except for 2 special hoses that had to come from GM. Got those 2 from an online GM dealer for about 60% of list.

$150 for hoses? Ouch! Last fall I replaced both the hoses on my wifes Cherokee (using Gates hoses) for maybe $25 and my 300ZX (again Gates)for about $32.

A different application but the rubber hoses on my 3406E CAT lasted 6 years and 565,000 mi before starting to crack.

On cars I have had hoses last as little as 6 years or as long as 20 years.

I would change ever 6 years on a high mileage vehicle.

Every 8 years on a vehicle driven less than 10,000 mi a year.

Every 10 years on a vehicle driven less than 5,000 mi a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back