What are the pros and cons to using Propane as a fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see people converting gas engines to liq propane, how hard is it to do? Whats the cost? What are the fuel savings? any good links on the pros/cons?

no fuel savings...you'll use 30% more, but pay less.
The propane needs to be evaporated (unless you use the port injection system invented in Oz that uses the propane to cool the charge), requiring more expensive hardware, that is prone to sticking and gumming up.
A pressure vessel that requires regular recertification.
Unable to fill up any and weverywhere.

Personlly, having owned a propane/butane (LPG) fuelled vehicle I feel that the advanteges outwheigh the disadvantages...if you are me.

If you expect the better half to refuel, put up with the (sometimes) hard starting etc then it's not for you.

if you own an old carb'ed car, the benefits are most excellent. propane has a higher octane rating (104), so that an old car that pings, won't after the conversion, all things being in good repair. less wear on the engine. cleaner oil that requires few oil changes. no emissions testing. tax credits. the car will be easier to start in cold or hot weather b/c the fuel is under pressure and vaporizes upon release.

i've never had a problem with an old caddy that i converted.

the license fee for a propane vehicle might be 2-3x higher than an equivalent car.

it isn't worth it to use it on a fuel injected version, as the computer does everything it can to optimze the combustion process.

it's very easy to convert a carb'ed car, using parts from propane powered vehicles (like forklifts) made by Impco.

All vehicle conversions must be certified according to Mobile Source Enforcement Memorandum 1A (Memo 1A), as well as the Addendum to Memo 1A, and the Revision to the Addendum to Memo 1A, which were issued by EPA.

[ March 07, 2005, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: seotaji ]

Here Propane is more expensive than gasoline. Propane has no lubrication at all so you may have valve problems eventully. Same problem old cars got with unleaded gas but worse.

I heard a rumor that some people have a 1000 gallon LPG tank behind their house and somehow they manage to re-fuel there vehicles with this tax free home heating fuel...I also heard that there are people with diesel powered vehicles who have discovered that #2 fuel oil is the same product as diesel fuel...

The math looks much better for these low-lifes..

Less power ,less miles per gallon, above mentioned problems per shannow and longer engine life, less intake and valve deposits and valves last as long or longer with propane. Also the oil stays cleaner.

When I used to work at Midwest Gas most of our fleet trucks ran on propane. The only drawback I remember was getting less mpg and that the vehicles were really hard to start below -10°F because the propane wouldn't atomize/vaporize in the carburator quick enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back