What should I use to lube my power antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual doesn't list anything, but in this cold weather it tends to stick and makes this horrible popping noise, like gears are turning but the mast is frozen.

seotaji,

google "power antenna lube" (with quotes) and you will find a few threads on this subject.

Most say that any "wet" type lube will work at first, but dirt attraction will eventually make it even worse.

Clean thoroughly, remove any kinks, maybe graphite powder??

Good luck.

I use silicone spray on lots of things like that. Works good on telescoping antennas for our portable radios and tv/hydraulic lifts/closers like on our Blazer's rear tailgate/rear lift glass/screen door closers etc.. it does not collect dust or dirt like normal oils do...I've been using that silicone spray for several years on that stuff..just spray on a rag and wipe

Try 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil on the extended antenna mast. Dab some on a paper towel and pull straight up from bottom to top so you don't jam dirt into the antenna sections. Once you are sure the mast is clean, generously lube the sections and power off the radio so that the mast retracts then power back on. Wipe off the dirt that the mast pulls up while collapsed inside the assembly. Repeat until the mast comes up clean, then lube the sections. You can then try to apply the silicone spray; while waterproof, it didn't seem to keep my mast clean for long and the noises returned, so I use the cheaper 3-in-1 every other week or so. The graphite powder just collected inside the mast assembly and seemed to gum up the works for me. I also push down on the antenna to help make sure the antenna closes completely to help keep dirt and moisture from getting inside the assembly and freezing up.

The manual for the wifes town car says do not use any lube at all. I seem to recall that years ago we used to rub the antenna with waxed paper for a little not sticky lubrication.

Clean the shaft with a cloth diped in a small amount of window cleaner,careful not to drip into lifting machinism,then polish shaft with cloth to
remove residual cleaner and the corusion removed.
Then rub the shaft with a candel to compleantly coat with with wax, Then polish with a dry terry colth to remove all wax and leave a smoutn dry serface. This is my experence for industeral shafts under dusty conditions.

There's an interesting article in Popular Mechanics that suggests using silicone grease or a paste wax.

I've repeatedly tried using TriFlow but my power antenna starts squeaking again within a couple of weeks. I'm going to try a light coat of Syl Glyde per the above article's recommendation and see if it does any better.

I would use a teflon suspended spray lubricant. Remoil is one that is available in Walmart as a gun cleaner. I use this stuff on everything (locks, hinges, inside electronics, clocks, etc). I have never seen it attract dirt. A little goes a long way. There are other brands too.

I just saw a Toyota branded spray lubricant like I described above with suspended Teflon in my local Toyota dealership. As mentioned above, I use this stuff all over (the brand mentioned in my previous post). It lasts a long time.

Believe it or not, and I tried a lot of different things on my '97 Max, but Mobil 1 worked best. I put a light coat on, ran the antenna up and down a few times, then wiped off antenna with a shop towel. I do it every oil change.

I used 5W-30. Hope we don't get into a thick vs. thin debate.

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
I would use a teflon suspended spray lubricant. Remoil is one that is available in Walmart as a gun cleaner. I use this stuff on everything (locks, hinges, inside electronics, clocks, etc). I have never seen it attract dirt. A little goes a long way. There are other brands too.

Remoil is what I used on mine last time. Works great.

Like you, I find myself using it for all sorts of things. It's a good light oil that works very well at low temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back