Cleaning up oil spills

Status
Not open for further replies.
a guy at work said to apply oil obsorber to oil spills that have been "cleaned up" to get rid of the stain? Is that true or is there such a product, I applied degreaser and washed and the stain is still there, though the "spill" is cleaned up.

your tips

Kitty Litter.

Pretty much the same thing as oil absorber, but cheaper. When I spill oil on the driveway, I toss some litter on it, grind it in and continue to do so until the oil is sopped up. It may help on a stain that's been there for a while, but it's more effective if you can use it ASAP when the oil is spilled.

yup, kitty litter ground into the spill removes the oil and even the stain!

the other thing you can do that i somtimes do it just pressureclean the spill.

I haven't used oil absorber but the kitty litter works if put immediately on the spill.

I have found that oil stains that have "set" on concrete (my driveway for example) will come up by using a spray can of carb cleaner. Once the cleaner evaporates the stain from the oil is gone.

If it's just a spot, I use non-chlorinated brake clean. It suspends anything and just wipe it with a paper towel. Kitty litter/oil dry is good too ..but you're left with sweeping it up.

I use the brake clean to clean up everything to do with my oil changes (funnel, drain pan, engine, etc.). It's not the cheapest thing to use, but leaves nothing behind. Cold weather use kinda sucks so I store it in a heated area.

Kitty litter works but I use gas and a wire brush on driveway stains. Clean driveway and no sweeping. I know it's not recomended and it's bad for the environment so no lectures please. Oh and don't call me if you blow yourself up.
rolleyes.gif

I don't like to use kitty litter, A true floor dry holds the oil better and sweeps up easily. Kitty litter tends to clump and turns into a slimey mess if you get it wet.

As far as stains I'd really like to know myself.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Kitty litter tends to clump and turns into a slimey mess if you get it wet.

Clumping kitty litter does that. The standard clay kitty litter does not do that.

I have both types of kitty litter--the clumping stuff goes in the cat box, the clay stuff goes in the garage for cleaning up oil spills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back