What to Use to Clean IAC Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to use throttle body cleaner. It will be most likely less caustic on the plastic and metal parts versus carb cleaner which can "melt" plastic and strip coatings off metal.

Whimsey

WD-40 or something similar may be of help also.

I took one of those valves to my local NAPA once,wanting a new one,the guy behind the counter didnt know what it was.They also didnt have the part.

This was on a car that had been out long enough for parts to be available.I ended up going to a junkyard,I think it was $10,the valve worked great.Never had to replace it again.

Maybe the junkyard would be an option instead of trying to clean it.

[ October 16, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: motorguy222 ]

Had an issue where the car was idling way too high. I pulled the IAC valve out and it was heaviliy covered in carbon (well, I believe it was carbon buildup)...wiped off the buildup at the time, but didn't give it a good cleaning.

The idling is much improved/lower, but next weekend I'd like to thoroughly clean it off.

Jelly,there is also a certain way those things are supposed to be put back in.They have to be adjusted before re-installing or you could damage the IAC Valve motor.

Is this out of your truck?

Do you have a manual?

I have a manual with some info about the IACV but it doesnt specify your vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:
Jelly,there is also a certain way those things are supposed to be put back in.They have to be adjusted before re-installing or you could damage the IAC Valve motor.

Yeah, you just have to make sure to retract it before reinstallation.

If I'm remembering right, I believe the reason I didn't use any cleaner last time was because the IAC valve is an electrical component, and dousing it in a cleaner might not be the best thing to do...

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Carb Cleaner?

Just did my on a chev.

Throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush worked wonders to get all the carbon off.

Rinse with the TB cleaner after the scrub and reinstall.

Amzoil Power Foam is the best cleaner,but Deep Creep and CRC throttle body cleaner are good choices too.BTW,while you're in there clean your throttle body too.
patriot.gif

Hey,

Now that I think about it, my truck when you fire it up, it'll run at about 800 something RPM but if you leave it after a couple minutes of just sitting there idling, the RPM's will creep up to 1000.

I tried looking in my service manual for it, but the closest thing it explains is the IAC selenoid. Does anyone have a proper procedure for this step?? If I'm robbing this thread, I do apologize,,,,,,AR

You just remove it and clean it and reinstall it again.

Use throttle body cleaner which is cheap and does a great job.

Why anyone would quote using expensive Amsoil or other cleaners for such a small job is just a waste of money.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

Why anyone would quote using expensive Amsoil or other cleaners for such a small job is just a waste of money.

Maybe a waste of money to you,but there are multiple uses these other cleaners can do! And,I was using CRC Throttle Body cleaner long before "Amsoil or other cleaners".
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back