Is "full lock" bad for my power steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I allways try and avoid turning my steering wheel as far as it will go in my Jeep. Seems like it causes more stress, I know the PS pump seems to make more noise. Is it bad to go to "full lock"? Or am I just being paranoid?

Well, the noise you hear is the pressure relief for the pump. It's like a bypass valve. I think you put more wear on your front end parts than you do the power steering pump/hydraulic system. The most wear, which is some what "lost knowledge", is from turning the wheels at a standstill. The lighter and more direct frontends have seemed to eliminate the problems encountered in the heavier older style steering systems (which you still use).

Those who put really big/tall tires on their jeeps (and other vehicles) DO experience power sterring pump overheating and fatigue issues. This tends to include a good deal of the same type of wear on the frontend parts while doing hard core off roading. The trail damage to the steering is pretty substantial ...so the failure of the power steering components are usually secondary.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you fall into the above crowd.

I've heard this from some reputable source..
oh, now I remember. It was on CarTalk, and some guy said in the owner's manual for his VW it said to avoid keeping the wheel at full lock for longer than 10 seconds. And Tom and Ray confirmed that there was more stress on the system at full lock, and over the long term it could increase the odds of a problem occuring.
So, no, I don't think you are being paranoid. But if you need to use full lock to make a manuever, you should do it.

I don't worry about these things much, my power steering system already leaks! ;-)

--Peter

There does not seem to be any difference between full lock and 1/2" from full lock in the turning radius of any vehicle I have ever owned,so why turn full lock when it makes that nasty noise?

So in other words - don't do it at every turn, but don't worry about doing it to get out of a parking spot every now and then?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OldJeep:
So in other words - don't do it at every turn, but don't worry about doing it to get out of a parking spot every now and then?
smile.gif

If you bump into the stop, just back off a hair as soon as you hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back