Can I change my brake fluid using the "turkey baster" method?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run out of fluids to change on my cherokee. I NEED something to change.
grin.gif
Thinking about doing the brake fluid. Can I use the "turkey baster" method, just removing what's in the reservoir and replacing it every few days?

For petes sake just bleed the brakes very well refilling as you go. Buy the time you have bleed all for points you will have changed out all the fluid!

The turkey baster method is not a sound one at all!!

Not a good method, you might get the car pregnant!

Seriously though, the fluid that needs to be changed is that close to the brake calipers and cylinders. That fluids gets contaminated and needs to be flushed out. changing only the fluid in the master cylinder doesnt change it at all.

Dan

I always start by extracting the fluid from the master cylinder with a turkey baster, then filling it with fresh brake fluid before starting the system bleeding. Why run all that old fluid thru the lines plus it requires fewer pumps to get clean fluid at the bleed ports. I also believe brake fluid should be changed every 4 or 5 years because its so darn hydroscopic

I wish I could go 4-5 years. Here in North Carolina with the humidity so bad I find I have to change once per year. At least that's what it looks like as the fluid gets very cloudy looking after about that time.

To properly remove all old brake fluid, you will have to cycle the ABS system on many cars. This may require a special computerized tool.

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:
Not a good method, you might get the car pregnant!

Seriously though, the fluid that needs to be changed is that close to the brake calipers and cylinders. That fluids gets contaminated and needs to be flushed out. changing only the fluid in the master cylinder doesnt change it at all.

Dan

ROFL!!
lol.gif

Your comment on running out of things to change may be the best justification for messing with brake fluid between the periodic rebuilds/replace necessary to replace the worn rubber parts. The master cylinder is one of the main points exposed to the humidity of the air. Sucking out the fluid, that has been there exposed to the air since the last rebuild, may be a good idea, before bleeding the brakes. The baster may work as well as anything. The brakes, especially with the ABS systems, are just too important to play with when they don't need it.

I alway "flush" out all of the brake fluid by opening each wheel bleeder valve in the proper sequence every two years. If you can't or won't do that then there is a good reasons to change only the fluid in the master cyl (baster method). Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means that it will suck up moisture. Now if we change the master cyl fluid at regular intervals we are using the new fluid to suck up moisture out of the old fluid. I know several people who do this baster method untill pads and or shoes need replacing and at that time they flush the complete system. Ed Hayes

I do pull out the old fluid and wipe out the master cylinder before before bleeding or flushing, but bear in mind, that brake fluid also absorbs moisture, as well as salt if your roads are salted, through the rubber brake lines.

I seriously doubt that changing only the fluid in the master cylinder, even multiple times will have a noticeable effect on the fluid in the calipers and wheel cylinders.

The pads were recently replaced by the former owner. I don't know very much about the brakes...is it common practic/required that a shop change the brake fluid when doing the pads? I don't have ABS BTW...

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
The pads were recently replaced by the former owner. I don't know very much about the brakes...is it common practic/required that a shop change the brake fluid when doing the pads? I don't have ABS BTW...

I worked in a brake shop 1990-1993. The whole time I was there, I never heard of anyone changing brake fluid or bleeding brakes when the lines had not been opened. The owner was very strong on rebuilding the wheel cylinders or calipers on every shoe or pad change. Often again they are refilled and bled, most of the old fluid is gone.

Yes things have changed since then, but the manual for my 02 Cavalier doesn't say anything about changing brake fluid. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He was an expert on removing frozen, twisted off bleed screws. He despised people that didn't come for help until they broke off an Easy Out in the bleed screw.

Alright, I changed what was in the resorvoir only because I had a bottle of brake fluid that I just used for cleaning something. The stuff that I took out was a little darker than clean motor oil, and left little things in the bottom of the paper cup I put it into. Looked almost like saw dust. Is that bad?

On a GM RWD car, does anyone know what the brake bleeder size is? IOW what size tubing should I buy to fit on the brake bleeder fitting? What I is the out side diameter of the tube to drill the cap?

Labman, we've been over this in detail some time ago:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000439#000003

Considering the anal retentive nature of most folks here, changing brake fluid every two years is near the top of the list for the DIYer. Because it's not specified in the owner's manual, doesn't mean it's not necessary for the vehicle. European car manufacturers specify replacing the brake fluid every two years. Yet they use the same materials and same brake fluid as we do.

There are a number of reasons your Cavalier owner's manual (and most American car manufacturer's) don't have it as a maintenance item. A lot of owners simply don't want to hear about having to add another item to their laundry list of expenses when it comes to servicing their cars. Also, manufacturers know that the worst thing that can happen with old fluid is that the brakes will need extra service - good for business. Plus Americans put more miles on their car per year to the point that some replace their brakes every two or three years, so the brake flush is usually taken care of at that time. Or as in the shop you worked at, they replace the hydraulics every brake change - problem solved!

For the $60 to $100 it takes to flush brakes, it's just not worth it for the average person. For the DIYer it's an important maintenance item to keep the brakes working at peak efficiency and delaying the need to replace the hydraulics in the braking system.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Spahr:
On a GM RWD car, does anyone know what the brake bleeder size is? IOW what size tubing should I buy to fit on the brake bleeder fitting?

I just flushed and bleed mine last week. 96 Corvette bleeder screw measures about 0.295 to 0.300. 0.250 ID vinyl tubing is a nice fit.

Can someone help me out with this brake fluid change thingie? What I'm asking is "when" this became "envogue"? I know it somehow became a "must do" thing in the past 5 or so years ..but why? Did the earth have some radical change in its fundamental properties since 1975 or 1985 ..when this was never heard of?? (yes, I'm trying to sound like a smart a$$
smile.gif
)

I've had cars for over a decade ..and because I pre-emptively change my pads anually ..have never had the hydraulics disturbed. I've never changed my brake fluid and have never had any ill effects from it. Now I'll admit that I've had a couple of vehicles that have gone over a decade and DID need new brake hoses and a set of rebuilt calipers ..but I don't think that a 12-14 year span of flawless service could be maintained if I've been so totally negligent in such a critical maintenance item (if it is in fact that critical).

Can anyone tell me what you've suffered from not changing your brake fluid? For me it is ZERO ..at least so far.

What I'm really asking is: Is this something that ANY of you KNOW is a "must do" ...or have you been swept into some new type of "assumed" responsible vehicle maintenance (probably perpetuated by a brake fluid manufacturer)???? This has the rhetorical strength of dogma ..but I just haven't had any proof that this is truly a worthwhile thing.

Cure me of my blindness.....
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back