about taking PS fluid out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I need to take 4 oz. (ca.120ml) of PS Fluid out of my PS fluid reservoir (car is 97 T-bird, 4.6L).

[I need to replace this amout with a certain addtive called Lubeguard PS fluid suppliment, in the hope of getting rid of some stiffness in cold weather when steering.]

Can someone explain to me the best way to remove this amount of PS-fluid from the reservoir without draining/flushing?
Would a large syringe work?

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Turkey baster? Just don't tell the wife and wash it out real well or the turkey won't taste quite right.

what's that?
pls explain?? (non-native english speaker)
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Turkey baster? Just don't tell the wife and wash it out real well or the turkey won't taste quite right.

what's that?
pls explain?? (non-native english speaker)
shocked.gif

It's like a giant eye dropper, a plastic tube with a rubber bulb at the end used for sucking the liquid that comes out of a turkey when you're baking it and putting it back on top of the turkey.
smile.gif
That's what I've been using lately to slowly flush my PS fluid. I just suck the reservoir dry every couple of days and add more fluid...

cool.gif
I've done the same thing. I bought my very own turkey baster (baister? bayster?) to keep in the garage. You can find them in the cookware section at the grocery store.

I just bought one of these at auto-zone. Looks like a turkey baster, but had a 6" long suction tube that is about 1/2" in diameter. Fits into places that a turkey baster won't.

hey,

thanks for all the replies, guys, and for the explanation. I'll try to find one, or perhaps some similar thing at AutoZone.

A 60cc syringe from a farm supply or feed store can be had for about a buck, and can use tubing for fish tank air line available at wal-mart for about 99 cent for 6 ft. works excellent for stuff like that.

I just suck the reservoir dry every couple of days and add more fluid... [/QB][/QUOTE]

Zmoz,

When you take fluid out of the resevoir every 2-3 days, aren't you taking the new fluid out also?(pls correct me if I've understood wrong).
I mean, the new fluid that you put in mixes with the old, doesn't it?...

(I'd like to try this, too, if I can get old flyid out and replace with only new flyid...)

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
I just suck the reservoir dry every couple of days and add more fluid...

Zmoz,

When you take fluid out of the resevoir every 2-3 days, aren't you taking the new fluid out also?(pls correct me if I've understood wrong).
I mean, the new fluid that you put in mixes with the old, doesn't it?...

(I'd like to try this, too, if I can get old flyid out and replace with only new flyid...) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, some of the new fluid does come out with the old, although it's already much cleaner than it was. It's just like changing the transmission fluid, usually you only change about half the fluid.

I too am looking for a way to get some fluid out. I was thinkng about using a siphon pump thingy from kragens, but it's $5, and, even after washing it out, I'm afraid I'll only be limited to using it for one fluid.

The syringe sounds like a good idea, just would have to get more tubing so the "tip" doesn't contaminate other fluid resivoirs. Or just get new syringes.

I was thinking about using a turkey baster from the 99 cent store, but the tip isn't small enough to fit into the tiny hole on a toyota previa's p/s resivoir.

Look around the house and see if there isn't a soap bottle with a pump dispenser.
Clean out the dispenser, and use it to pump out the PS fluid into a suitable bottle.

Bigger one works faster than small one!

97tbird,

Turkey Basters are simply long syringes that suck up fluids for subsequent dousing of Turkeys during basting.

I get two or three of Walmarts Turkey Basters of about 3 Oz. sizes - they have large bulbs and long calibrated glass tubes; one I use for PS fluid, One for Brake Fluid, and one for fuel additives like FP.

BTW, Make sure you mark them for each fluid and don't mix up fluids.

[ February 23, 2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I just tried the turkey baster method. I will not be using this method again. Maybe it was the cheap dollar store turket basters I used, but the bulbs seemed to come off after some fluid got in there. I got the fluid out, but it was somewhat messy.

I think I am going to try and get some syringes from the feed and supply store by me. The ones that wallmart wants are $2.50 each, for mixing 2 cycle gasoline. I think the syringes will suction a lot better and won't dribble as much as the turkey basters do.

**** in Falls Church had the right idea, use any pump out of a plastic spray bottle, you can add an extra length of tubing. Cost about 5c for the tubing, and pumps the PS fluid out real quick.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:
I just tried the turkey baster method. I will not be using this method again. Maybe it was the cheap dollar store turket basters I used, but the bulbs seemed to come off after some fluid got in there. I got the fluid out, but it was somewhat messy.

I think I am going to try and get some syringes from the feed and supply store by me. The ones that wallmart wants are $2.50 each, for mixing 2 cycle gasoline. I think the syringes will suction a lot better and won't dribble as much as the turkey basters do.

I had that problem too. After the bulb came off and spewed dirty fluid all over my engine, I put a hose clamp around where it attaches to the tube. Works great!
cheers.gif
I've used one of those 2 cycle mixing syringes for changing my diff fluid, it worked, although it was pretty slow 2 ounces at at time...

Thanks to all of you for my "turkey baster and its uses" education...now I know what it is.:)

After some thought, I looked around in the IV room of the pharmacy I work at, and got a plastic 60 ml syringe and a katheter which attaches to it(so that it can get in to tight openings), and I thnk it will work good..looks pretty neat, anyway.

I'll use it soon to draw out the 120 ml PS flyid and let you all know how it went.

...thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back