cracked fuel injector...

Status
Not open for further replies.
what would a cracked fuel injector do?

i recently replaced my o-rings and found that one of the injectors are now cracked at the end where it goes into the intake manifold...the plastic that holds the inner plastic and the injector tip is cracked...i can feel it..

would there be any bad to leave it in there? or should i replace it?

thanks!

shoot, should've added that

car runs fine, nothing wrong. gas milage can be better...already replaced the fuel filter and i run 87 octane. car has auto rx done to it, sparks are fine, wires are ok...idle is great

gas milage i s hould get is 25-28...i get 19-23...city...freeway i get about 300 miles per tank while other accords get 350+ easy.

on the street i get about 270 miles to the tank while others get alot more....

i have a 1991 honda accord ex I4 SOHC engine. 170k on it.

the thing is, the crack isnt near the injector pin...the pin is surrounded by a white plastic, and then the whole thing is surrounded by a brownish plastic...thats the part that is cracked.

that end goes inside the intake manifold.

Drifter:

Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them? My guess is if that cracked injector was "leaking" or admitting too much fuel (you alluded to poor gas mileage), the plug for that cylinder would be sooty and perhaps somewhat fouled compared to the others.

If all your plugs look the same, I'd look elsewhere for maybe a bad fuel pressure regulator. Although usually this will cause a "check engine" light and throw a code to your OBD.

my plugs are fine, i just check them. pretty good i may say. but ill take out the sparks to be certain.

yea i have not thrown any codes...iono what it could be if anything, if possible ill try to post a picture...

change the injector. you can test whether it is leaking, but probably it's just better to change it.

I depends ,if you are planning to
keep the car for a long time I would change all of the injectors . I will bet it is costly and probably you won't get any more for the car at trade in time ,on the short term.

I don't think that plastic shroud peforms any seal functions. It's the moulded part around the connector area you have to watch out for.

However, if it is cracked to the point it may break off, it is going to end up inside your engine.

Pick up some used injectors from the junkyard. Honda injectors are tough and go the distance.

www.suncarb.com has the best deal out there for fuel injectors. They are rebuilt, flow tested and balanced and sold at wholesale prices.

I just put a set of 4 in my Nissan and the vehicle idles so smooth now and I no longer have that nasty gas smell.

If you are goin to replace one, replace them all. Better to be safe than sorry.

thanks guys, this dude is going to sell me one for now...later before smog ill change them all...

i have no cash at the moment =/ not even any for auto rx which i need!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back