Does PVC do ok with gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to fix the pickup tube in a gas tank I have for my generator...can anybody tell me if PVC has any problems coming in contact with gasoline?

I think it will depend on the formulation of the PVC. Check www.mcmaster.com, type in "PVC tube" and root around for chemical compatibility charts. Most of the listings for typical PVC tube were "not recommended", but I didn't check all the listings. If it were my project, I'd also soak the tubing in gasoline for a day or two and look for swelling or softening.

I'll just put a peice in a jar with some gas for a few days...don't know why I didn't think about that before...

Avoid flexible vinyl. It has low molecular weight materials added to it to soften it. Gasoline will leach them out, leaving it hard, and the material in the carburetor. If you can use a stiff tube, go with polyethylene. Unless it gets hot, it resists gasoline very well. If it must be flexible, try a nylon or urethane. The piece of tubing in a jar is a good test, but not always reliable.

I'm looking at the Chemical Compatability Chart of my Lab Safety Supply catalog. Compatibility is sometimes affected by temperature. For RIGID PVC and gasoline, it states:

At temp 20C (68F): Good (scale of Xlnt/Gd/Fair/Not Recommended)
At temp 50C (122F): NR

For Polycarbonate: Fair/Fair (68F/122F)
For Low Density Polyethylene: Fair/NR
For High Density Polyethylene: Good/Good
For Polypropylene: Good/Fair
For Flexible PVC: Not listed

How about a good 'ol fashioned rubber/nitrile fuel line..?

[ December 30, 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
The piece of tubing in a jar is a good test, but not always reliable.

And only waiting a day or two for the effects to become apparent isn't enough, IMO; if you're like most people, your generator doesn't get used much but when you need it you need it. And, if you're like me, when you need it is when the gas-soaked PVC pipe won't work anymore
smile.gif

$0.02,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back