Opinions/experiences w/ KYB shocks/struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using KYB shocks/struts in my Volvos for many years. IMO, they simply offer the best performance & value for the dollar. There are some Volvo owners who find them to be too harsh/firm. While they are more firm than OEM Boge hydraulics, they're not nearly as firm as high performance Konis or Bilsteins. I know KYB offers thier products for many applications and was wondering what other vehicle owners thought of them(especially American made vehicles).

[ November 18, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Volkster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Volkster:
I've been using KYB shocks/struts in my Volvos for many years. IMO, they simply offer the best performance & value for the dollar. There are some Volvo owners who find them to be too harsh/firm. While they are more firm than OEM Boge hydraulics, they're not nearly as firm as high performance Konis or Bilsteins. I know KYB offers thier products for many applications and was wondering what other vehicle owners thought of them(especially American made vehicles).

Once upon a time, around 1978, there were only 2 makes of shock that were worthy of the name. In other words, they deserved the name "shock." They were Bilstein and Ohlins. Now, a 1/4 century later, one more name can be added to the list. The new member of this "hallowed hall of fame" is KYB.

I am no shock expert, but I do listen to those who are. Ask the Daytona crowd...those people who go 'round the banking at 150-240 mph. They will tell you.

I have KYB 4 way adjustable struts on the front of my 245 (240 Volvo 5 door wagon). Indeed GREAT shocks, and the price was great. I wish I would have bought 5 pairs 6 years ago when they quit making them!!! They have an adjuster screw in the top of the strut rod.

On the other hand, the rear KYB's for the 245 SUCK. They not only just suck, they REALLY suck. I'm sorry but there are at least 4 other choices that are better. Tokico, Boge, Koni and Bilstein come to mind. The rear KYB's over react way too much.

BTW I have 1" IPD sways, poly bushings, new 242GT front springs, HD rear springs, upper and lower chassis braces, fire wall strut tower and tower to tower braces, nick choy sway bar end links,etc....

I first bought KYB Gas Adjusts years ago for my second generation Camaro, and loved them. I thought they were EXACTLY the right firmness. I have since bought them for 3 different body styles of full size Chevy and Ford pickups, and like them equally well.

However, I have *not* bought a set for my new Tacoma DoubleCab because a few people have said they are too stiff, which is the problem I already have with the stock (non-TRD) shocks. So essentially I am in the same boat as the original poster.

Years ago(~'82?), I put a set of KYB Gas-a-Justs on my '66 Volvo 122S. Made a huge difference in the car; when 2 of them went bad after 6 or 8 years, even though I'd lost the paperwork & thus had no warranty, I replaced them with another set of KYB Gas-A-Justs. As far as I'm concerned, a great shock for the buck.

KYB GR-2's are another matter entirely. I decided to repace the struts on my Neon at ~94 K miles, mainly on general principles, & put on a set of the KYB GR-2's, based mainly on my experience with the Gas-A-Justs on the old Volvo. What a disappointment!

So: Gas-A-Just, very good indeed. GRX(truly adjustable, like the Koni sports) probably good too, but I have no experience with them. Nufortunately, they don't make either of these to fit Neons.
tongue.gif

KYB GR-2? Strictly a low performance/OEM replacement shock/strut, IMO.

For several years now, I've thought a 96 or 97 Buick RoadMonster w/the LT1 & a set of KYB Gas-A-Justs would make an outstanding highway car!
grin.gif

They came stock on my Tacoma Double cab (TRD) and they seem fine. I figure if Toyota uses them as OEM, they must be pretty high quality.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
KYB GR-2?
what's this?

GR-2's is KYB's aftermarket entry or lower line designed to compete with all the other name brands in the market.

HOWEVER, the GR-2's for the front strut of my Chrysler minivan that I purchased in September were the exact strut as the Gabriel at Autozone
phone.gif

Upon more research I would say all of the GR-2's are the same as the Gabriel's (At least those make in Mexico). Funny how people will say the Gabriel is junk and praise the KYB when they are the same item.

The only difference besides the box they were shipped in was that someone at the Mexican factory slapped a cheezy label on the side of the strut that said KYB. One label was mounted vertically and one was mounted horizontally. Neither was fully adhered to the strut. It appeared that as they are putting the strut into a box marked KYB they slap on a sticker on the side saying "KYB" - so now you have yourself a KYB strut and you get to pay more for it.

I know some will not be able to believe what I'm telling you but compare it to how a plant makes several different "brands" of oil filters but the only difference is the paint on the case and the box they come in. If you will do the research that I have you will learn what I have. If interested, don't overlook the Gabriel parent corporation annual reports and shareholder letters over past few years and read about the joint ventures.

I had a set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on a Toyota pickup, WAY too stiff compared to stock. A switch to Rancho "off road" shocks actually softened the ride.

Unless you are lowering or otherwise changing spring rates, it is better to stay with near-stock levels of damping. Spring rebound energy and shock damping have to be somewhat in balance.

quote:

The new member of this "hallowed hall of fame" is KYB.

Depends on which app your talking about. The KYB app for the Impala SS, the Gas-Adjust, is a bit underdamped when compared to Bilstein "Sport"(there is a softer "HD") or Monroe Severe Service, and is only good for 20-30k.

Life for the Bilstein is usually 80k+. Monroe SS is an unknown at this time, but comes with a LLT and is only $30-35(Orielly).

I just put a set of Monroe Reflex shocks on the Explorer. Made a world of difference. Lots of control, but comfortable too.

Best advice is to find a forum dealing with your specific vehicle. Shocks, tires, brakes, oil, ... It's all depends on the app.

[ November 21, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I had a set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on a Toyota pickup, WAY too stiff compared to stock. A switch to Rancho "off road" shocks actually softened the ride.

I might have them on ther and not know it.
This name rings a bell. The original Toyota were on and dead in 80K and I replaced them at around 200K when I looked like a slinky. These were BLACK or WHITE (gotta check-think white)and uguly looking... and yes they were stiff, but with almost 200K on these they are getting too soft.
I noticed at 100K they started to wear, but were too good and I had no money to replace then. They are still fine, but I want that stiff HARD ride, man that makes doing a corner at 30-50 SWEET.

I put a set of Gas Ajusts on my 79 Toyota pickup ages ago. So much better than stock it wasn't even funny. The ride and handling vastly improved. OEM shocks ,incidently, were Tociko.

I had a set of Gas-A-Justs on my '80 Corolla for 12+ years and 150K+ miles. The rears finally rusted out and they sent me a new set N/C, no questions asked. I liked them well enough that I'm going to add a set of the their Monomax shocks to my 4Runner shortly.

All the KYB's have progressive velocity sensitive dampening so they do feel different than a "normal" shock. I like the way they feel and consider them a good value compared to Bilsteins, Konis, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back