What sparkplug is best for my Toyota 2.4L 2AZ-FE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OEM plug is copper NGK BKR6EYA11. Why doesnt it come with platinum or iridium nowadays? Is it better to change to platinum or iridium or should I just stick to OEM copper? How long will copper last? The manual doesnt state any change interval for sparkplugs.

Plugs available where I live:

http://www.denso.com.sg/tpl/pdtlineup_plug_lineup.html

Is copper the 'in' thing again? Reminds me of the timing chain then to timing belts and then back to timing chain again.

Ken:

Copper plugs, depending on how hard you drive the car last 15,000 - 20,000 miles. Copper plugs are considered a yearly replacement item for most cars.

The biggest advantage to platinum and iridium plugs are longer replacement intervals, as they last at least 40,000 miles (some auto manufacturers have said you can go to 100,000 miles on good platinum plugs - I feel that is too long). Some manufacturers claim that the plugs can keep cleaner in the chamber, giving a little better long term performance.

How old is your car? A lot of auto makers have been installing platinum plugs in their cars for the past few years now. I think either a good OEM NGK or the VP Platinum plug will be all you need for your car. Here in the US, Denso is always more expensive and personally, I think the NGK is a better plug anyway.

Hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
The OEM plug is copper NGK BKR6EYA11. Why doesnt it come with platinum or iridium nowadays? Is it better to change to platinum or iridium or should I just stick to OEM copper? How long will copper last? The manual doesnt state any change interval for sparkplugs......

.......Is copper the 'in' thing again? Reminds me of the timing chain then to timing belts and then back to timing chain again.

Any spark plug with the letters "NGK" on it will be the best spark plug for your car. All "NGK" plugs are great products and will last for donks.

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Any spark plug with the letters "NGK" on it will be the best spark plug for your car. All "NGK" plugs are great products and will last for donks.

What about Denso? I can get them pretty easily here.

I would stick with the NGKs, they are great plugs and if you don't mind changing them every 15-20k, stick with copper. I use the NGK coppers in my wife's car, they were the OEM plug, and it takes me less than 10min to change them so I see no need to spend more on iridium or platinum, when their only benefit is longer life. If the plugs are easy to change, I'd rather do them more often.

My wifes moms 97 tercell has the original ngk plugs in it and they have 66,000 miles on them and are still running strong. But I did recommend she change them
shocked.gif

Ken

Interesting. Is the spark plug model number stated in the your owners manual?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:

What about Denso? I can get them pretty easily here.

Oh, No. We're getting into a pro-Syn/anti-Syn Oil type argument again, here. **** Just Kidding!!!!!!**** :)

Seriously now, Denso is also a great product, but it just so happens that all my friends use NGK and swear by NGK. So, "monkey see, monkey do." I use NGK, and follow like a blind sheep.

But, I mean, look at my car: Since January 1998, it has had the original set of OEM NGK plugs. Now is 4 years, 8 months and 41,600 miles later, and I have never even looked at my spark plugs, let alone clean, or perish forbid, change them. The only reason I know they are NGK standard copper plugs is that I took the time to flip through my Owner's Manual and Shop Service Manual when I first got the car. So, wouldn't you say that my particular set of NGK's are an especially long-lived item? That is why I recommend them to you.

Well-I have the 22-RE engine and I use the Bosch +4's I have used these plugs in multiple vehicles and have been extremely happy with them.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I would stick with the NGKs, they are great plugs and if you don't mind changing them every 15-20k, stick with copper. I use the NGK coppers --snip--

Yeah, I use the coppers too.

I donno, but my Tacoma factory are not copper, the Toyota plugs for my truck are STEEL, anyhow, I can feel the Coppers and they seem to have more power.
Just went back to use up the last set of factory plugs (use to buy by the box of 12)... no I do like the coppers better.

FYI - Just stick with NGK, their plugs are great.

NGK and change them at 30-60000 miles.

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4700 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 81700 Miles.

Another vote for NGK copper!

I've been known to sneak autolites in my beaters though, just because they're 40 cents cheaper.
tongue.gif

You don't want "unobtanium" plugs to stay in the head too long as they're tougher to get out.

Plus you get to look for detonation, oil burning, etc. more often changing cheapie copper plugs.

My Camry is at the body shop. I do have my little service log book. It does not list our engine as needing spark plugs until 120,000 miles. I belive that my owners manual wich is in the car does list them. When I get the car back I will look.

I wounder if someone else at the dealership wanted your plugs and did a not so even exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back