How Much ATF Does A New Process 208 Transfer Case Hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was doing routine maintenance on my 1983 GMC, half-ton, 4-wheel drive p/u truck. Loosened the big "fill-plug" on the transfer case and about a pt. of milky white fluid poured out. I'd like to drain this old ATF out and fill with new ATF. Is there a drain plug on the transfer case, and if so, where is it located? How mant pts. of ATF does a transfer case hold and is regular Dextron III ATF the type lube to use in this style transfer case? Anything else I need to know about changing lube in a New Process transfer case? Thanks.

Yep 5 qts ATF Dextron III do ya good
smile.gif

[ September 01, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Ken42 ]

Sounds like its contaminated with water? Have you been in deep water? It could be from inactivity but why is there more fluid in there than supposed to be? Its running out the fill hole? Unless you are not on a level surface? Not using the transfer case enough to generate heat and burn of condensation might possibly do this but rare..

You might want to consider flushing this out. Fill it up with new ATF, drive it in 4WD drive for some miles, then drain and install fresh. If the ATF comes out clean, you ar good to go.

Thats what I would do..

There should be a drain plug on the lowest portion on same side as fill. If not, some you had to remove the lowest bolt in the case cover and drain it that way, make sure the fill plug is removed or it will drain slow. I had a 1985, changed this out but can't recall how it is. That was almost 20 yrs ago.

[ September 02, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Mike, Ken, and ****, Thanks for all of your input. I finally found the drain plug(had to remove the skid-plate) and put in 5 qts. of fresh, Dextron III ATF. There was about 6 qts. of milky, old ATF in my drain pan which may be due to condensation. I don't drive the truck very much and rarely use the 4-wheel drive. I'll try to use it more regularly to get it hot enough to "burn-off" the water condensation that builds up. Thanks again for the useful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back