How much grease should be applied to a zerk fitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is enough enough? How do you know? What to look for?

Examples of locations and types of fittings at those locations would be very helpful.

Thank you.

If I understood the question correctly, you pump the grease till you see the fresh grease is coming out of that excess outlet hole (usually at top of the bearing, joint). I've remember this explanation from several service manuals.

Just enough and no more.
wink.gif

I usually would put in just a shot or two. If it has a rubber boot, like a ball joint or steering joint, I'd pump in the grease untill the boot expanded just slightly. This way I know I've added grease to the joint. Too much grease can pop the boot, opening the joint to water and dirt from the environment (not good).

On stuff like my lawn mower where there is no boot, I just add grease untill it just appears at the end of the shaft/axel. Again, I know I've added enough grease, but not too much.

I concur with everything Rick in PA said. I wish you could give each fitting 3 pulls with the grease gun handle and it would be perfect. It doesnt work like that because diff fittings require diff amounts of grease, ie the ball joints take more than the tie rods. Fill the fittings carefully until the rubber boot begins to swell. Stop. It is human nature to want to give it 'one more shot' for good measure. Dont do it. Also be sure to lube chassis with suspension under load, such as on ramps. Dont jack the car/truck up and let the wheels hang.

On u-joints, always fill until grease comes out of all four ends. One might be clogged and the grease willl always flow through the easiest one first. Sometimes you need to move the car to change the angle so it will flow better. On others, as said above.
BUT, in industrial applications, motores, bearings, etc. Never put in more than needed to quiet the bearing. The more grease you add (past the right point) the higher the temperture of the bearing. A big problem we have here is that all the mechanics working in industry were once in charge of greasing trucks or cars.

By the way,

How come when i have my car oil changed they never grease the chasis.

Is it really true some cars have "lubed for life" chasis components.

Thanks.

And I have a U-Joint on the driveshaft...can that be lubed or again sealed?

quote:

Originally posted by ikeepmychevytoo:
If I understood the question correctly, you pump the grease till you see the fresh grease is coming out of that excess outlet hole (usually at top of the bearing, joint). I've remember this explanation from several service manuals.

That is what the shop manual for my 92 Grand Am said. It only had 4 grease fittings, the lower ball joints and on the steering arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back