Car's running rough, mileage went down. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately my car's been running rough, there's some loss of power, the engine isn't as smooth, there's a strong smell of unburnt fuel when starting the car up in the morning, and my mileage has gone down. It's a 2001 Honda Prelude with 34,000Km, no engine mods.

Any ideas of what it might be?

P.S.: I used Amsoil 5W-30 ASL since new

Basic tune up problems most likely. First and foremost, check your air filter to make sure it is clean and clear. Then look at your plugs and wires. Also look and listen to ensure you have no vacuum leaks.

First pour in a bottle of Techron (not the cheapies) when you are filling the gas tank.
I'll give you an 80% probability of fixing the problem within the first 50 miles. I've posted several stories about this elsewhere on this board.
If not, it's time to check the rest of the system (plugs, sensors, etc.)
A clogged air filter usuallyonly shows up at higher rpm, so the engine can run fine at idle, but lose power after 2000 or 3000 rpm due to lack of air. (same symptom as clogged gas filter)

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
First pour in a bottle of Techron (not the cheapies) when you are filling the gas tank.
I'll give you an 80% probability of fixing the problem within the first 50 miles. I've posted several stories about this elsewhere on this board.
If not, it's time to check the rest of the system (plugs, sensors, etc.)
A clogged air filter usuallyonly shows up at higher rpm, so the engine can run fine at idle, but lose power after 2000 or 3000 rpm due to lack of air. (same symptom as clogged gas filter)

he lives in toronto, there's no techron or miles here.
tongue.gif

Thanks for all the responses.

I swapped my OEM NGK Platinums with NGK Coppers and it did improve a bit. My air filter is fine and after resetting the ECU it did seem to run smoother, so I'll wait until spring before changing the distributor cap, rotor, and getting Denso Iridium plugs.

Ferrari, you apparently aren't getting a check engine light. This rules out having a bad O2 sensor. (Make sure the CE light comes on with the switch, to rule out a blown bulb).

I agree with the previous posts. Do a good tune-up, and if it is still not right, clean the MAF sensor.

The same thing happened to my Dad's girlfriend's 'Lude. Her's was a 1998 or 1999, though. At around 40,000 miles, she complained that it was running rough. I added 1/2 bottle of Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner and a full bottle of ispropyl drygas ("Christy's," I think, but I don't believe brand matters).

Problem cleared up right away. I suspect it was water so you might want to try just the drygas (gas line antifreeze) because it's just around $1 and should do the job.

Look in your manual, does it say anything about changing the fuel filter? I don't think it does. Honda considers this component good for the life of the vehicle, I think. That's nonsense. Change it at 50,000 miles.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Ferrari:
Lately my car's been running rough, there's some loss of power, the engine isn't as smooth, there's a strong smell of unburnt fuel when starting the car up in the morning, and my mileage has gone down. It's a 2001 Honda Prelude with 34,000Km, no engine mods.

Any ideas of what it might be?

P.S.: I used Amsoil 5W-30 ASL since new

Since you smell gas if the oil is getting black unusually fast I suspect a injector could be hanging when shut down and leaking past the rings into the crankcase. Hit it with something good in the gas tank for a couple tanks running and see what comes of it.

How can a country get along without Techron? No Wal-marts?
I have miles on some vehicles and Kilometers on others. Depends on where they were born.

They used to sell the Chevron Injector cleaner with Techron up here at Walmart a couple of years ago but stopped for some reason.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back