I am clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not really, but I am having trouble balancing the logical, disciplined coleslaw against the emotional, superstitious coleslaw. I have a couple of diesel powered boats. The older boat has Cummins 5.9B diamond things, and I have been using Mobil Delvac 1 and Napa antifreeze and life has been good. The newer boat has a couple of Yanmar LP STE engines (Toyota, light weight, high output)and life has also been good. I am using the same Delvac synthetic and Napa antifreeze, the only difference is that the Yanmars specify 125 hour oil change vs Cummins 250 and coolant change annually vs. every 2 years. I don't care about that. . .I am not in to extended oil change intervals or saving a buck on antifreeze. I just want to take care of the engines so I can run the **** out of them when ever I feel like it. (I have been getting Blackstone oil tests at every oil change and they have been coming out just fine.) So, like a naieve jerk, I cruise the internet and I find that I am doing everything wrong. . .Yanmar's can't run on synthetic oil or green antifreeze. . .Cummins shouldn't have this or that. . .but I've been doing it and life is/was good until all these little paranoid guilt trips in cyberspace by the minions in the peanut gallery. What is real???

For internal combustion engines,only Mazda's rotary advices against synthetic due to some seal issues,no other reciprocating engines I know of recommend against using synthetic for any reason whatsoever,considering that you are using one of the ultimate in any oil(Delvac-I),diesel or gasser,that too with regular and not extended OCI,you really have nothing to worry about.

I couldn't get a hold of our local Yanmar dealer, but I have worked on a few and never saw any cautions against synthetic. I also can not think of any reason why you couldn't run a syn oil, the LP STE is a new enough engine that seal compatibility should be a non issue. Two of the three that I was working on had synthetic oil. One had to have a warranty repair done and the Yanmar rep didn’t comment when looking at the UOA. I never specifically ask either since I didn’t think it would be an issue so don’t take that as being Yanmar’s official word I may have just dealt with a good rep.

As for coolant, there are a few seal issues there as well, but those were on older engines that converted to Long Life in some of its many forms. The only think I can see that may be a problem is the silicate levels and any additive they may be using. If they have an additive that was designed for a specific coolant, then running old green may in fact be a problem. As long as you flush the system very well when switching between coolant types you should have no problems.

If you are not leaking/burning/losing any coolant or oil and your samples (have you done a coolant sample?) come back good, run with your current practices and brands and have fun!

Thank's WM. . .That pretty much confirms what I thought. I have never done coolant samples as in sending to some lab. I do run oil analysis on engines and transmissions. So far, I've never gotten a bad one, but someday I suppose. . .

The internet is a great deal, but I suspect you could post all kinds of weird stuff and it would shortly circle the world and be close to undisputable fact by the time it came back around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back