4 in exhaust for 6.0 POwerStroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do but the main reason I pointed this out is the 6.0 has really been eating the comsumers time and money.I spent 25 plus years in the auto field and hate it when comsumers and DEALERS are slammed with a bad product.I read MANY diesel forums daily and have for 4 plus years. There are vehilces out there that comsumers should have been given their money back with a smile.The 6.0 is one of them.Just had a friend buy a 06 Superduty and ate lunch with us.Went out and it had a no start.Towed in with 5800 miles.The high psi oil driven injection pump failed.One after another with major issues and Ford is nasty about warranty work on them because its been a money loser.I won't post any more about them.

Mettech.
I was getting around 19 to 19.5 mpg before I changed the fluids to AMSOIL at 6500km.
After I checked it and was up to 20 to 21mpg.
I have 11,000km on the 6.0 and I find the sweet spot is around 90km/h I can get 21mpg.
Last thursday I went to Toronto to get more product and had 4000lbs in the trailer on the trip home.
I set the cruise at 110km/h going there and 105km/h coming home.
I got 15 mpg which I was a little disapointed.
Hopefully once she gets more time on her it will get better.
I also will have the 4 in. exhaust on her before the next trip.

quote:

I understand but this is also the wrong site to inquire about mods also and just stating whats been posted on many sites about the 6.0s.Its not even considered a medium duty diesel.Its a light duty.

You must drive a dardge. My bro-in-law has an '02 Cummins and I love it when we are both tied to the same weight trailers and I'm still accelerating going up a hill with my 6.0. Wish I had a dardge...
rolleyes.gif

I don't have a Diesel, but I do have a single 4" exhaust... on my F250 with a gas 460. With this 4" exhaust (Magnaflow straight-through muffler), I noticed a significant increase in power everywhere in the rpm range I use (idle to 3200 rpm) and an increase in fuel economy (about 1 mpg or a 14% increase) compared to the old dual 2" setup with glass packs that were on the truck when I bought it.

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all to you, but my thinking is that your PSD moves a far greater volume of exhaust gas than my 460, and if the 4" helped my 460, then it'll definitely help your PSD.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that with this 4" exhaust, the sound is absolutely incredible... the best I've ever heard. Whether or not a turbo passes along much of an exhaust note, I do not know.

No cat.
4in from Turbo to tail.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Whistling don't mind..loud exhuast noise I do.
When we had the JD 4440 we knocked out the baffle inside the muffler.
Man did she whistle.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Well.......got the 4in pipes installed.
Problem is.......the cat had to stay or I could see a $5000.00 fine if I get pulled over at the scales or a DOT guy checks me out. Thought long and hard on that and decided I don't need to hear no stinking turno whistle that bad.
Good thing was that I'll be able to pass emission tests.

Now for what I feel and hear.
I can feel a definate kick in the pants on exeleration.
As for exhaust noise.......just a little more throatier. As for turbo whistle....not unless someone is on the inside and gives it some throttle will I be able to tell if there is a diference.
Testing the milage...i was getting 22to23 the other night at 90kmph.
This afternoon I could hit 23.5. But I'm not sure if there will be a diference. Time will tell. But I sure can feel the difference on take off or when I mash the throttle to the floor.

Don,

Personally I don't think that the CAT is that restrictive unless you are going to do some exotic upgrades. And I know you aren't, so you wll have no problems. My 95 PSD 7.3L came with a factory CAT. I always chuckle when people looking at an oil say don't use diesel oil, it will plug your CAT.

Good luck with your truck. It sounds sweet.

Your probably right. I guess I was just thinking that I would have liked to hear that turbo whistle.
At anyrate, I sure don't want to pay a fine.
Give it a couple of weeks and I'll be happy with the way she is.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back