Schaeffer's 7000 vs. 9000???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '91 & '03 Dodge/Cummins & live in the desert southwest (Phoenix, AZ.). Been thinking of changing to Schaeffer's oil & was considering the 9000.
The reps., here, & dealer don't carry it & say that it is not necessary because of our warm climate. They seem to think that the main benefit to the 9000 is it's cold starting & running properties. They all highly recommend the 7000.
The 9000 doesn't seem to be much more expensive & looks like an improvement over the 7000. However, I've never heard anything bad about the 7000.
Are there any advantages to using the 9000, for me? Or is the 7000 more than what I need, in my situation.
I'd appreciate hearing your opinions.
Thank You.

Joe Fihn

Joe,

In essence they are telling you correctly. The 7000 & 9000 are both EXCELLENT oils. I run the 9000 in my PSD, but prior to Schaeffer's releasing the 9000 I ran the 7000 and was happy with it. IMO, you can't go wrong either way.

Being that you live in Phoenix I doubt you see much cold weather. Actually, if you look at the specs on the 7000 the viscosity when cold is below the 10W range so even if it is cool you'll get great cold flow properties. Best of luck.....

The basic difference between the two is viscosity and Goup II plus vs. Group III.
The add package is the same. With the 9000 you also pick up a slight mpg improvement.

Mr. Hammer,
I've seen the term HTHS used before & now by you. Could you please explain what it stands for & what it means.
I haven't been able to find an explanation.

If I decide to go with the 9000 on both my Cummins engines with Fleetguard Stratopore oil filters, do you have any what a reasonable OCI would be? I realize with the '03 while under warranty, I should stay, at least, within the 15,000 mile intervals. I plan on using UOA's to determine the final OCI's but, was just curious as to how long this oil will still be effective in my engines.

Thank You, all, for your replys.

Joe Fihn

Thanks for the replys.
I've read where some guys use the 7000 in the summer & 9000 in the winter. I'd rather use ONE, year around oil, for convenience sake.
Is there a good reason why I would NOT want to use the 9000 in the severely hot summers, here in Phoenix?
I know both oils are 40 weight but, their lower numbers are different (15W vs. 5W).
Just wondering why the local distributors & dealer are trying to steer me away from the 9000. I wonder if they just don't want to stock another oil product.
I stopped by the local retail dealer, yesterday, & all their guys had ever used was the 7000. After speaking with him about the 9000, he said that he would like to try it, now.

Joe Fihn

HTHS...High Temp High Shear viscosity. It's basically the viscosity of the oil at 150 degrees celcius. It's a good indication of what the viscosity is in high stress situations such as going through a bearing. Therefore, HTHS has more relevance when it comes to viscosity for protecting a motor then the more commonly posted 100C and 40C viscosities. 9000 may have a thinner viscosity at 40C & 100C, but it is slightly thicker than 7000 at 150C.

On a Cummins engine...15000 mile OTC's should be a breeze.

Hammer

Mr. Hammer,

Thank you, very much, for the explanations. I've been wondering what HTHS represented, for quite awhile. I tried looking it up & couldn't find an explanation.
The Schaeffer's products certainly seem to be of high quality. I don't recall ever reading anything negative, about them.

Thanks again, for your help.

Joe Fihn

Joe,
Use either the 7000 or 9000 and sleep easy. Both will be among the best oils you can get for your engie. In your climate, I'd use 7000 without a worry. 9000 is excellent, but not that much better except in extreme cold.

Ken

salesrep, btw, can I get Schaeffer products in Germany or somewhere else in Europe?

offtopic.gif

I have sent an email to Schaeffer's a few weeks ago, but I have not received a reply yet.
dunno.gif

Regards,

ED

"salesrep, btw, can I get Schaeffer products in Germany or somewhere else in Europe? "

The shipping will kill that deal!
Schaeffers is made in St.Louis.
There has got to be a "good" oil available to you there.
Unless your a die-hard BITOG-er.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
its a hydrocracked synthetic base stock and pao base stock...its not hydrocracked from dino oil..its a true synthetic

Please explain the above statement to me. I am really lost or I am interpreting your statement wrong. Schaeffers 9000 uses a Group III base stock with a percentage of Group IV to make it a blend. It is called Synthetic by definition. I am certain the Group III is hydrocracked dino.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
its a hydrocracked synthetic base stock and pao base stock...its not hydrocracked from dino oil..its a true synthetic

Please explain the above statement to me. I am really lost or I am interpreting your statement wrong. Schaeffers 9000 uses a Group III base stock with a percentage of Group IV to make it a blend. It is called Synthetic by definition. I am certain the Group III is hydrocracked dino.

Tony, he called Schaeffer's and got bad info. The Group.III component as listed on the MSDS says, "Distillates, (petroleum), hydroteated heavy paraffinic"

http://www.schaefferoil.com/msdspdf/9000.pdf

I'm guessing he spoke to some trained monkey on the phone who doesn't realize that group.III are actually petroleum based but are legally called synthetic even though "technically" they are not.

Of course you and I both know that group.III oils perform generally just about as good as PAO's and in certain catgeories, have some attributes that are better.

Hammer

thanks you all...i bought 2 gals so i wasted my money...i been using delvac 1 and redline oils...i been using schaeffers products for along time and i have to say they are not very friendly to talk too...and my distributor is getting out of selling for schaeffers says they are jerks to get along with..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back