Mobil 1 0W-40 versus Mobil 0W-40 "Turbodiesel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a Toyota Yaris 1.4L turbodiesel. I will do my first oil change at 2000K (per recommendation of dealer). The recommended oil is a CF-4, or CF - weight is 10w-40.

What I have found that is easily available is Mobil 1 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 "Turbodiesel." The Turbodiesel formula is a little more expensive. I checked the Mobil website and the specifications & approvals and properties are the same for both oils.

IS THIS THE SAME OIL? I would like to believe that there is something more to the Turbodiesel formula (detergents or such). But? The Mobil 1 0w-40 is much cheaper at my post exchange than having to buy the "turbodiesel" formula on the German economy. Too bad I can't find the Delvac 1 or Truck & SUV anywhere here in Germany.

Anyone know if M1 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 Turbodiesel are the same?

Thanks!

if it needs a 'CF' grade oil, the mobil 1 0w-40 oil will be fine. Chances are that the turbodiesel is rated higher than 'CF' for the diesel spec.

All M1 oils are CF rated, BTW.

JMH

I wish... too bad stupidity reigns when it comes to auto choice over here
rolleyes.gif

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey:
I don't know what it is like in the states, but diesel cars are everywhere here in Europe. I love driving about 1000 kilometers on one tank of fuel!

Emissions standards in the US make it difficult to sell diesels.

Even in Europe diesel sales track taxation - where diesel gets a break, diesels sell like hotcakes. Where diesel fuel sells for about what petrol does, gasoline vehicles sell better.

quote:

I just purchased a Toyota Yaris 1.4L turbodiesel. I will do my first oil change at 2000K (per recommendation of dealer). The recommended oil is a CF-4, or CF - weight is 10w-40.

What I have found that is easily available is Mobil 1 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 "Turbodiesel." The Turbodiesel formula is a little more expensive. I checked the Mobil website and the specifications & approvals and properties are the same for both oils.

IS THIS THE SAME OIL? I would like to believe that there is something more to the Turbodiesel formula (detergents or such). But? The Mobil 1 0w-40 is much cheaper at my post exchange than having to buy the "turbodiesel" formula on the German economy. Too bad I can't find the Delvac 1 or Truck & SUV anywhere here in Germany.

Anyone know if M1 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 Turbodiesel are the same?

I believe if you'll look at them you'll see they bear the same approvals (including CF) both in Europe and the US, the same manufacturers' certifications, have the same flash points, pour points, and so on.

The Turbo Diesel is not sold in the US.

If they both meet Volkswagen's requirements I'd go with the cheaper of the two.

Thanks for the response!

They two oils have the exact same ratings across the board. Guess I'll go with the cheaper of the two until I can get a parts store to order some Delvac for me.

I don't know what it is like in the states, but diesel cars are everywhere here in Europe. I love driving about 1000 kilometers on one tank of fuel!

Does anyone think it is somewhat deceptive for Mobil to label a bottle of Mobil 1 0w-40 as "Turbodiesel 0w-40" and sell it for just a few Euros more than plain old Mobil 1 0W-40?

Same pour point
Same flash point
Same Sulfated Ash
Same TBN
Same ratings.

I'd use whatever saves you a few bucks.

Anyway, the VOAs of 0W-40 look almost HDMO, with the exception of some zinc.

quote:

... The Mobil 1 0w-40 is much cheaper at my post exchange than having to buy the "turbodiesel" formula on the German economy. ...

quote:

Does anyone think it is somewhat deceptive for Mobil to label a bottle of Mobil 1 0w-40 as "Turbodiesel 0w-40" and sell it for just a few Euros more than plain old Mobil 1 0W-40?

It sounds as though you're getting an American-labeled oil from an American source & a German-labeled oil from a German source. It's common for identical products to carry different labels for different regions in order to appear familiar (& increase sales) in those regions. Mobil has said the 0W-40 is the first of their globally-available grades. I'm betting they're identical products.

cheers.gif

If you look at it Jeffry is buying the M1 0W40 at his "Post Exchange" and this is why it is cheaper. The "economy" would imply local sourced. Not only is the price of petrolem products higher in europe across the board but last I checked Germany had a 21% sales tax. I doubt Jeffry can get arond that sales tax on a consumable oil product. He is either a member of our Armed Forces or he has a U.S. Government job abroad.

Jeffry, See if the site ExxonMobile sponsor will ship to your APO address. I am sure he sell's Delvac 1.

Jeffry, what are going to do when it is time to come back state side? I am preety sure you can not import the Yarris and it's diesel engine power plant!

I don't believe I can bring the car back to the U.S., but I don't intend to return any time soon. I am a social studies teacher at an American school for dependents of U.S. military personnel who are stationed in Germany.

As to the Mobil 1 products I have found... Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mobil 1 Turbodiesel are both being sold at the parts stores and hardware stores on the German economy, but the Turbodiesel labeled oil is selling for 3 to 5 Euros more. This is what seems deceptive to me - if these are identical oils. Maybe putting the word Turbodiesel on the bottle is expensive? I have noticed that Shell Europe does essentially the same thing. Marketing a Helix line with standard and diesel formulas that seem to have the same exact ratings across the board - same oil, different labels.

What I can get at my post exchange is the 0w-40 labeled for the U.S. market as "European Formula." This is what I will buy - until I can find the Delvac 1. I will take the advice of checking with the site sponsor, but I have a feeling that motor oil is an item that they won't allow me to receive at my APO.

The toyota dealership wants to fill the car with some type of European Shell product that is a 10w-40 synthetic-dino blend. It is probably rated CF, but I would much rather use a fully synthetic Mobil product.

I may be wrong, but could it be that the Mobil-1 turbodiesel is actualy Delvac-1 with a different name, if so, Delvac-1 is more expensive than Mobil-1 and is deemed to be a superior product than Mobil-1 in diesel applications.

quote:

Originally posted by Arup:
I may be wrong, but could it be that the Mobil-1 turbodiesel is actualy Delvac-1 with a different name, if so, Delvac-1 is more expensive than Mobil-1 and is deemed to be a superior product than Mobil-1 in diesel applications.

Do they even make a Delvac-1 in 0W40 ?

Arup,
the specs and ratings, including the fuel economy rating, are identical between M10W-40 and the M1 turbodiesel 0W-40.

The Delvac 1 is a very different beast.

quote:

... Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mobil 1 Turbodiesel are both being sold at the parts stores and hardware stores on the German economy, but the Turbodiesel labeled oil is selling for 3 to 5 Euros more. This is what seems deceptive to me - if these are identical oils. Maybe putting the word Turbodiesel on the bottle is expensive? I have noticed that Shell Europe does essentially the same thing. Marketing a Helix line with standard and diesel formulas that seem to have the same exact ratings across the board - same oil, different labels. ...

WHAT??? Why, that'd be like introducing a new M1-version 5W-40 with the same specs as Delvac 1 & selling it for less!!
tongue.gif

I think you hit the nail on the head when you got to the word, "Marketing"...
wink.gif

quote:

That depends.

If you look at two Mobil 1 0W-30, the regular and the Racing version, and their specs you'd think they were the same oil. They have the same VI, pour point, flash point, etc, etc.

They are in fact two different oils. The Racing oil has much higher anti-wear additive levels.

This could be the same case. Without an elemental analysis it's impossible to tell if the Turbo oil has a different additive package - say higher molybednum, zinc, and phosphorous levels.

However, you are going to be seeing a lot more of this - high mileage, racing, truck, diesel, turbo - because marketing segmentation increase profit margins. Oil companies aren't charities.

quote:

They are in fact two different oils. The Racing oil has much higher anti-wear additive levels

Mobil said the only difference is the high levels of ZDP. It's not that much different.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back