Iron Powerstroke..YUK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking real money here if those motors have to be torn down.
Rather than only toss it out to the group you should contact Terry directly for advice.

....Certainly a cost effective path.......

Although I have posted that we are using the FS by-pass in our fleet this one doesn't have it. The reason being I have been doing a comparative test with and without for extended drains.

Now the real problem, I have had numerous powerstrokes coming back with high iron levels. Two problems these Fords have.(1) Bad injector o-rings causing major fuel dilution.(2) Poor air filter box designs and elements allowing silica intrusion into the turbo air intake causing wear.

On both of these problems I had discovered these prior to any bulletin being issued by Ford and found after taking the trucks under warranty to the dealer that YEs the o-rings were on their third or fourth design, and that the filters had been changed and changed again to a complete new air box design that costs the owner 200.00 dollars and the manufacturer "Will Not cover the cost" Nice Huh? But these failures showed up easily with fuel dilution of upwards of 10% and for the filter problems high silica content and bearing metals in the scans.

Even the 6.0litre powerstrokes are experiencing fuel dilution once again from fuel rail o-ring leakage as Read about in I think Motor Age and I just sent one to the dealer last Thursday that they have yet to find.

But now the Iron problem, I have had 3-4 trucks that show higher than normal FE yet there is no silica, no fuel dilution, but some bearing metals present...How can I find the cause if I can't see the fault?

Here are the numbers,
ag..0
al..3
b..35
ba..0
ca..3889
cd..0
cr..3
cu..31 red flagged
fe..146 red flagged
soot. .7%
fuel dilut. .5
ir-nit 19
ir-ox 13
k.. 3
li.. 0
mg.. 83
mn.. 0
mo.. 3
na.. 7
ni.. 1
p.. 1059
pb.. 7 flagged
sb.. 17
si.. 13
sn.. 4
tbn.. 5.90
v100c 15.3
water zn.. 1200
banghead.gif

You really should post this in the oil analysis section - diesel.

You'll need to post the vehicle, engine, oil brand, grade, etc. Total miles on vehicle, miles on oil, air and oil filter type. Plus any other possibly relevant info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back