Best Diesel Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC

Hello,

I am in search of the best engine oil for my Dodge Cummins. I have ruled out Group IV an Group V synthetics becasue I do not wish to take advantage of extended drain intervals to offset the additional cost.

I am very happy with the Delo 15w40 and have received very good oil analysis with it during my 3000-4000 mile oil change intervals. My problem is I don't feel the Delo 15w40 is the way to go for winter use up here in Michigan, especailly when I unable to plug the block heater in.

I am considering the Schaffeurs, but I am strongly thinking about a 5w oil for no other reason than winter startup. The Group III oils have become affordable and offer the advantage of the 5w for cold weather startup. I would consider a 10w30, but I don't think the 30 would offer the best protection when the engine is at operating temperature.

I appreciate all of your suggestions and comments.

Thanks!

RC,

If you do not wish to use Group IV or V, I believe Chevron Delo's 5W40 diesel-rated oil is Group III. Also, other Group II, III candidates are Shell Rotella 5W40, and Castrol Syntec 5W40 (definitely Group III, only available at VW dealerships). Schaeffers are also a good choice based on analysis results I've seen here on the boards.

I personally would recommend something like Schaeffers or Mobil Delvac 1 5W40.

Regards,

Oz

The Castrol 5w-40 Syntec is only CF rated - NOT the oil to use in the Cummins.

Of the Group III oils, the Petro Canada 5w-40 has the best specifications and would be my professional recommendation for this application. It has a pumping temp of -40F at the low end and a high temp/high shear viscosity of 4.2 Centipoise @ 150C. The viscosity index is 177, which is excellent for a Group III. As I recall, the Noack Volatility - high temp evaporation - is approx 10%.

I know you can get this stuff in Michigan for about $14.00/gallon ...we have lots of folks using it
in the VW TDI diesels. Most of them are running 10,000 mile oil/filter changes with excellent results.

TooSlick

[ October 12, 2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

We have a great many clients(especially farmers) using the Schaeffers 15w40 in mich and wisc., without any problems for cold temp use. Also, cost is quite a bit less than 14. per gal. Extended drain intervals is just an added bonus if you ever was need that capablilty.

Also, you want to keep in mind that when choosing a diesel oil, it should be atlease a CH-4 or the newest CI rated oil which is what Schaeffers is. Many are not CI rated and also be carefull in choosing a lower viscosity oil to ensure it does have the CH/CI otherwise it is not designed for a diesel engine. I have seen one guy using valvolines 10w30 SJ rated oil in his powerstroke..not a good idea.

[ October 12, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

RC,

The PC 5w-40 meets all of the current diesel specs, including the Cummins CES 20076 and Mack E0 M+, along with CH-4/SJ.

I wanted to add that Chevron also makes a Group III, CH-4 rated, "Delo 400" 5w-40 synthetic for about the same price as the Petro Canada product. The cold temp specs aren't quite as good, which is why the PC "Duron" synthetic would be my first choice in a Group III product.

TooSlick

George,

Do you feel that Delvac 1300, 15w-40 is suitable for a gas engine, marine inboard engine? Something like a V-6 or V-8 Mercruiser? I am specifically asking in terms of shear stability ....

thanks!

Ted

I don't know if it is best but I use Delvac 1300 Super with excellent results. I have had oil analysis done and I'm up to 6K miles per change and I'm going to 7K miles next time.

I also like Mobil Delvac 1 but this might be out of the price range that you want to spend. It is Group IV based and about $17.50 per gallon.

The Delvac 1300 is about $5.75 per gallon.

If you are having success with Delvac stay with it.

I meant to say if you are having success with DELO not Delvac then stay with the DELO

Regarding the use of Mobil Delvac 1300S 15W-40 for gas engines. Yes. Absolutely. It is gas rated also and a superb oil. Again, I was primarily adressing the original post with his Michigan location and his concern about cold weather operation and pumpability. I work with companies who have been using Delvac 1300S in all their equipment, from CAT D-10's down to support pickup trucks and Briggs & Stratton water pumps. In every case, life has been exceptional.
And yes, it works well in marine applications.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Another exceptional oil, readily available at WalMart is the Mobil Delvac 1300S 15W-40. It is a Group II+ Group 1 blend and has a distinct advantage over other mineral based oils in that it exhibits 10W pumpability. As the question goes, "when does most wear occur? On Startup". Having an oil that will easily pump and reach the turbo, top end is a definate advantage in your location. Plus the oil is among the highest treat levels of anti wear, detergency, etc. of the current CI-4 oils. It is loaded to the hilt additive wise..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The Castrol 5w-40 Syntec is only CF rated - NOT the oil to use in the Cummins.

Of the Group III oils, the Petro Canada 5w-40 has the best specifications and would be my professional recommendation for this application.

TooSlick

TooSlick,

Two things.

1) I was always under the assumption that Syntec 5W40 is at least CH-4 rated since isn't that what is required for the TDI?

AND

2) So, it's confirmed now that PC Duron 5W40 is Group III not Group IV? I haven't been monitoring the TDI forums lately, so I'm not up-to-date.

Regards,

Oz

Oz,

TDI requirements are one of these three specs:

1) ACEA B4 - European spec for turbocharged direct injection diesels
2) VW 505 - requires testing in 1.6L diesel and 2.0L VW gas engines
3) API/CI-4, current US diesel spec for EGR equipped engines

Syntec meets the first two of these ...

The PC 5w-40 has always been Group III and I highly recommend it. Don't let preconceived notions about the relative merits of Group III vs Group IV oils keep you from using it. In any modern oil the quality/quantity of the additives is at least as important as the basestock in determining performance. Bob is right on about this issue ....

TooSlick

For winter use you might consider Shell Rotella Synthetic available at Wal-Mart for about $13 a gallon. Not a great oil, but it seems it probably will suit your needs. I hope the experts will correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I like the Delvac-1 but it does get expensive.
freak2.gif

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Should I choose to go with a Group III 5w40, I am wondering about it's shear resistance given the spread of the viscosity. I know with conventional oils this is a concern because of all the VI's and with Group IV and V oils it is less of a concern, but the Group III's are in that grey area for me. Do they shear as easily as the conventionals?

quote:

Originally posted by RC:
Hello,

I am very happy with the Delo 15w40 and have received very good oil analysis with it during my 3000-4000 mile oil change intervals. My problem is I don't feel the Delo 15w40 is the way to go for winter use up here in Michigan, especailly when I unable to plug the block heater in.

I am considering the Schaffeurs, but I am strongly thinking about a 5w oil for no other reason than winter startup.

I would seriously look at a full synthetics. You should be able to easiely double your change interval. I would say even 10,000 miles would be no problem.

If you want the best pumping capability, either Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil HDD 5w30. Both are designed for cold temperature starting and extended drains.

Another oil that I like to recommend is Amsoil's 10w40. It is rated for ch-4 as well as CUMMINS CES 20071, 20072, 20076.

I have been running the 10w40 in my VW TDI(Diesel) for 2 years and am very happy with it.
The 10w40 should be less expensive than the Delvac 1 or HDD.

RC,

"but the Group III's are in that grey area for me. Do they shear as easily as the conventionals?"

This is grey area even for the oil companies. I would say that any non-newtonian VII will shear; however, the latest VII formulations for Group III are much improved over the older VII for older formulations. I.E., slightly better shear resistance for the New Group III.

You might want to try a good Blend like Schaeffer's #700; it has about 55% Group I base oil with 25% PAO. I am currently running it in farm diesels, Ford PSD's, and Mercede's passenger cars.

MolaKule,

Here's a suggested read:

SAE Paper #2000-01-2920

"Formulation Capabilities with Group III Synthetic Fluids" by Petro Canada. Shows some direct comparions to Mobil, Delvac 1 ....

Been running the PC 5w-40, Group III oil in my Audi for the past 7500 miles ...pretty good stuff.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back