Additives XII-Multifunctional additives

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
As a review of additives, let us do this:

Name at least one additive that functions in more than role. That is, name one or more of the Multifunctional additives.

[ July 21, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

ZDDP, acts as an anti-oxidant, as well as providing anti-wear and anti-scuff properties.

Not sure if there's a group name for these additives that do both.

(I think that the Moly dithiowhatsisname and similar antimony compound do the same also)

[ July 02, 2003, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Shannow ]

'bout time
smile.gif

ok couple more:

potassium triborate
alkylamines

I can't believe I didn't edit that line but I was in a hurry!

Name at least one additive that functions in more than one role.

That is, name one or more of the Multifunctional Additives and the functions they perform.

Pablo, it is OK, you can still play, or you can go to Walmart and Oggle the chicks.
grin.gif
cool.gif

[ July 02, 2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

ok then let me add
potassium triborate: Ep,AW, anti-oxidant
alkyamine: surfactant, lubricity, anti-oxidant

Here is a comprehensive list (best you'll find outside of the lab) of multifunctional additives and their functions. Notice the same chemicals and compounds perform more than one function.

Multifunctional Additives (in Alphabetical Order) listed as to Functional Agent, additive category, general or specific chemical compound, and how it works, respectively.

Antifoamants or foam inhibitors (Protective Additive): polymers such as silicone polymers and organic copolymers of the silaxane's; creates a lens that reduces the bubble's surface tension.

Antioxidants or oxidation inhibitors (Protective Additive): ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, aromatic amines such as organic tolutriazoles, thiadiazoles, diphenylamines, olefin sulfides, carboxylic acids; decomposes peroxides and terminates free radical reactions. Increases temperature of base oil at which base oil may tend to oxidize. Oxidation of oil promotes polymerization of sludge particles and increases viscosity.

Anti-Wear and Extreme Pressure Additives (Surface Protective Additive):
ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, Organic Sulfur-Phosphorus-Nitrogen compounds, Borates and Borate Esters, Tricresyl Phosphates, amine phostphates, and other phosphate esters, Chlorine compounds, and lead diamylcarbamates, lead and barium naphthenates, sulfurized olefins; protective film interacts at various temperatures and pressures to provide either a plastic interface or to provide a compound which shears at the surface.

Demulsifier (Performance Additive): hydroxyalkyl carboxylic esters, alkenlycarboxylic esters; keeps water separated from lubricant.

Detergents (Surface Protective Additive): metallo-organic compounds of sodium, calcium, magnesium, boron phenolates, phosphates and sulfonates such as alkylbenzene sulfonic acids, alkylphenol sulfides, alkylsalacyclic acids; Lift deposits from surfaces to keep them suspended.

Dispersants (Surface Protective Additive): Alkylsuccinimides, alkylsuccinic esters (alkenyl succinimides); chemical reaction with sludge and varnish precursors to keep them acid neutralized and to keep them soluble. Detergent-dispersants often are the same chemical or come in compounds to accomplish the combined function(s).

Emulsifiers (Protective Additive): Polyisobutylenesuccinimides, alkenylsuccinate ester/salts. polyester amides, alkyl aminoesters; promotes a stable emulsion or mixture of oil and water.

Friction Modifiers or Friction Reducers (Performance Additive): Organic fatty acids and amides, lard oil, high molecular weight organic phosphorus and phosphoric acid esters such as Tricresyl Phosphates, ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, family of diphenylamines and amides, and olefin sulfides. Reduces coefficient of friction formulated lubricant in the boundary lubrication regime. Some VII's also provide friction reduction.

Metal Deactivator (Protective Additive): ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, family of diphenylamines and amides, and olefin sulfides, heterocyclic sulfur-nitrogen compounds; inhibits corrosive effects of oxygen with metals and decreases metal interaction with oxygen compounds to reduce oxidation of oil, also Metal Inhibitors such as benzotriazoles-1-methanamines, organic tolutriazoles, thiadiazoles, diphenylamines.

Oxidation Inhibitors (See Antioxidants).

Rust Inhibitor (Surface Protective Additive): Barium sulfonates, amine phosphates, phosphordithioates, sodium thizoles (for coolants),

Pour Point Depressant (Performance Additive): polymethacrylates (PMA's); reducing wax crystal formation and increases solvency of oil at low temperatures. May be part of VII package.

Seal Swell (Performance Additive): nitriles, specific esters, organic phosphates and aromatic hydrocarbons. Increases volume of elastomeric seals.

Surfactants or Surface Active Agents (Protective Additive): family of diphenylamines and amides; usually part of the antioxidant package. Also provides enhanced friction reduction and allows oils to "climb" or spread on and over surfaces. Decreases but does not destroy surface tension

Soot Control or Soot Inhibitor (Protective Additive for diesels): Organic Barium compounds; keeps soot in suspension. Usually part of the dispersant package in diesel formulations.

Tackifiers (Performance Enhancement): copolymers of ethylene and propylene; helps oil cling to surfaces. Very useful in geared machines such as transmissions, differentials, and chains.

Viscosity Index Improver or Viscosity Modifier (Performance Additive): Olefin copolymers (OCP's), hydrogentated styrene-diene copolymers, styrene esters, polymetharylates (PMA's), mixed alkyl methacrylate-vinyl-pyrrolidines, aminated ethylene propylene, mixed alkylmethacrylate ethylene/propylenes; reduces viscosity change with temperature. Increases viscosity of base oil as temperature rises when base oil tends to thin. Some VII's may also act as dispersants by incorporating dispersant compounds.

[ July 14, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Last edited:
Which additives help with issue of fuel in gas and negative effects that can have on engine? Thank you MolaKule
tongue.gif

Actully, all of them, since fuel dilution will reduce viscosity, the VII's help there, the fuel attempts to soot up the oil, so Detergents/ Dispersants help there, the FM's help the oil maintain lubricity, the antoxidants retard oxidation, etc., etc.

molakule, can sheared up VII's also have some FM or AW ability? or are the little pieces worthless at that point? Just fishing for an upside on the VII that seem to get bad rap often around here.

"molakule, can sheared up VII's also have some FM or AW ability?"

I'd say No. They are not really chemically active and will not form a film or react with the metal surfaces to any degree to do anything.
Bruce

quote:

molakule, can sheared up VII's also have some FM or AW ability? or are the little pieces worthless at that point? Just fishing for an upside on the VII that seem to get bad rap often around here.

Yes. A tribochemical text on the subject of VII's and Blending has shown that VII's do show some FM and AW qualites.

Some VII's can have dispersant as well as VI improvement compounds contained therein.

VII compounds are much improved over the black-sludge days and are now multifunctional.

would love to learn since this is new to me. where is this quoted?

"A tribochemical text on the subject of VII's and Blending has shown that VII's do show some FM and AW qualites."

Bruce

Now, this is an old thread, but I can't seem to find much info anywhere here on this. I read the thread on TBN, and it's effect on engines relative to sulfur content in the fuel's used.

How much is too much of some of these additives?? Especially ZDDP, as we're seeing that rapidly decline in today's gasoline oils. When looking at a virgin analysis, what ca I look at to say 'hmm, that's too much for me, I need one with more/less of said additive???'

"How much is too much of some of these additives?? "

University studies, formulators, and blenders do a lot of research and testing to determine additive balance. So you can't.
VOA an oil, run it, then work with an oil analyst to determine which oil is right for you.

If you have the bucks, companies usch as Renewable Lubricants Incorporated will make a custom oil for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back