Oil for Onan generator with 460 Ford engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just purchased a used Onan generator for work and it has a Ford, LSG-875 engine on it. 460 cu in, 1800 rpm, turbochaged, running on propane.

It has proudly displayed on the side near the oil fill - USE ONLY QUAKER STATE HD-30.

Is there any reason not to dump the existing oil once we run it a bit and fill it with Delvac-1?

The generator must put alot of watts . I would use a a straight 30 due to the possibility of ring sticking on a steady state rpm engine,but then what do I know .

Lubrication Enginners has a specific oil,,their 40# will do fine,8940,,,or amsoils 15w-40 runs clean,big point is use a good fuel conditioner as Schaeffers #131,,,,,,,,BL

Steve - The unit is 70KW.

Brian - it's propane fired so we're at the mercy of the propane company. I am going to check the line filters if it has any and the pressure regulator next week sometime. And thanks for the tip on the LE 8940.

Mola also suggested I look at an oil made specifically for LP/NG engines and that makes good sense to me.

Thanks for the replies guys!

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
We just purchased a used Onan generator

Is a person who operates an Onan an Onanist?

lol.gif
Looking at the guys that dropped this thing off and "set it up", that's the only thing they'll ever be doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back