Ford 8N Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our church has an old Ford 8N that we have had restored and runs great, and doesn't smoke. I'm wondering if straight 30W oil is still the preferred oil to be used in this engine. I'm wondering, with the advancement of oil technology, if a multi-grade oil would provide better start-up protection and still give at least as good hot protection. I've searched but came up with nothing.

If you use it in winter, a multigrade would probably be a good choice, maybe a 10W-30. FWIW, my neighbor has been running his 8N on 15W-40 Rotella T HD oil for 15 years or so with good results and it's a year-round rig (snowplow). If it's more a summer toy or summer work rig (a church near here uses an 8N with a mower), staying with a 30 HD (diesel rated) would be fine too. I do know those tractors aren't particular. They just work and work and work!

This tractor is rarely used in the winter. It is mostly used for odd jobs, like pulling honey suckle stumps recently, and for pulling a utility trailer.

I'd second the ACD, there was an article in the ams news maybe 6 months ago I think the guy had been running that in an 8N I think it was with a bypass filter for like 20 years. Got an old 8N that was my grandfather's in the garage here that hasn't been run in 10 years this makes me want to get it going again!

Menards was all out of Rotella 10w30 last night

had plenty of 15w40, but i had that in it last year, cranked pretty hard.

Put in Supertech HM 10w30 instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back