Rykon Oil AW ISO 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

We are using Chevron Rykon Oil AW ISO 46 in our laminator machine. The oil gets heated up to 250 degrees F and then pumped through a metal drum. The drum gets heated up to melt lamination film as it is rolled over the paper.

I found out that we need to change the oil every 3 to 6 months. The oil gets darker over time. If we leave it on longer, the machine builds up sludge (and we know where that leads to).

I was wondering why does the oil get darker. Is it burning up? I thought in a closed system like this, it doesn't get any contaminates and should stay the original color. And is there any other oil we can use that would be similar, like a synthetic (if it isn't syn already) that might work better?

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. Can you help me explain how these would be better and last longer? I'm new to this and will need to write up the proposal for the boss.

Thanks.

You are using the wrong oil. you need a heat transfer oil with NO AW additives they are what is darkening and will breakown, Chevron Heat tarnsfer 46 oil would be far better.
bruce

Caloria is better, run a TAN first and then think about changeing out at a TAN of 1.0 and full change at a 1.5-2.0 number.

We make a ISO 46 PAO syn that would run 1 year, at least it does at 550F in a closed system as a heat transfer fluid but cost is high at $800 or so a drum better or use a major oil product like Exxon and change out 2X year.
other exotic fluids out there that can run longer but price goes high. 300F is not to high you might look at a system clean it maybe full of gunk which shortens ANY fluid life.

bruce

Thanks for the info. After running out to the warehouse screaming we're using the wrong stuff, I found out we actually used that Rykon stuff once. We're using Exxon Caloria HT 43 now. Is that better? And is there a good replacement that will give us longer change intervals?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back