15w40 ok for both I.C. & Diesel engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a service facility taking care of all types of Forklifts most run LP powered 4 cylinder engines indoors. The outdoor equipment is mostly diesel power.
I would like to stock all of my service vehicles with a quality oil that would be ok to use in both type applications. I'm considering using Shell Rotella 15w40.
I have checked the service manuals on the majority of equipment. Most LP Forklifts recomend a 10w30 motor oil.
The manufacturer's will not comment on anything except to follow the manuals specifications.
Is there any reason Shell Rotella 15w40 would not work in these applications?

I have no problems with Steve's anecdotal information. And I have zero problem with the 15W-40 viscosity. It's the additive amount I question.

It is unfornunate the mfr. won't comment further. They say nohing about low ash oil? Isn't LOW ASH important to NG/LP motors? Or only NG motors?

I'm posting this not to try to make a sale, just to show what Amsoil says:

Amsoil NG motor oil

It may work, but you really don't need such an additized (HDEO) oil for an LP engine.

Is buying two oils a huge ordeal, or are you worried about misapplication?

This is fact and not an opinion due to 5 years at an independent shop and 17 years at a forklift dealership. Use the hdeo in every thing.

Pablo, you have been reading without thinking .I have seen the insides of more lpg and diesel and for that matter gasoline engines than you have posts
grin.gif
. I have torn down for inspection lpg engines with 25,000 hours that run on Delo 400
"the best oil" I know what they look like and how they run. If you carefully read the Amsoil literature mentions 2 cycle deposits.Bet that fact was glossed over in your reading huh? . The 2 cycle engines are Detriot diesels converted to run on nat. gas since diesels are "can" be considered multi feul. I have never run across a deposit problem on lpg engines ,Continental flatheads,Ford ,G.M. ,Mitsubhishi ,Mazda,Perkins and Volkswagon commercial engines. A last tidbit most n.g. engines are backup power . I went through a Clark Forklift traing on n.g.engines about 10 years ago and there wasn't a change in the oil or service requirements. Wierd isn't it.

[ January 22, 2006, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

I really dislike it when people assume I don't know what I'm talking about because I sell Amsoil.

#1 please don't say I haven't been thinking - insults belong on the playground and don't help your discussion. Yes I have read the 2-stroke part, so strike 2 against you. And strike 3 - yes I know many NG (and lots of LP with no NG in area) engines are for backup power. Dude - I used to build backup power generator systems. Hint: Heavy additized dino 15W-40 was NOT the oil of choice in these situations, especially in cold climates.

Now - I'm not arguing at all with your findings. With well used and run forklifts there probably would be no issue with 15W-40, but still I wonder why the mfr's don't recommend it?

Pablo see my smilie? generators and marine engines usually run at a set rpm no? That is where the low ash oils come into play not in forklift engines that vary the rpms. Most of the mfgs.are recommending 10w/30. I'm sorry Pablo, I have no problem with you or Amsoil.Read the last line or two on the bottom of the Amsoil literature on the nat. gas oil.

Yes, listen to Pablo!
cheers.gif

Forklift = often a lot of low temperatur operation => Not necessarily a good idea to use a higher viscosity than recommended by the manufacturer.

Sorry, only my 2 cent..

ED

Thanks for your input guy's!!
When I 1st started to manage this Service dept. The guy's were using the cheapest 10W30 oil in all equipment they serviced. I was concerned at Lumber yard applications during summer months on trucks running Cummins diesel engines.
Due to the lack of storage in our service van's I hoped to have 1 type oil that would work OK in both LP & Diesel.
Today we are using a 10W30 that has a blend of synthetic oil. Rotella in the diesel engines.
I am concerned about misapplication. Sounds like you both agreee 10W30 is a good choice for both ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back