Whats our thoughts on Coastal,ST and Proline 15w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought and old truck. It has a large 855 cu in Cummins engine in it. Right now I'm just driving it from one side of the property where I keep it to the other side where I can work on it.

I don't know how long the engine oil has been in it so I want to change it and the filter just so I know.

Thge good stuff like Rotella, Delo etc are in the $9 a gallon range and the thing holds 11 gallons. These oils are Rated CI-4 plus.

The Coastal,ST and PepBoys Proline is in the $6 a galllon range and is rated CI-4 but no "Plus.

Am I wrong to think that fresh "cheap" oil is probly better than whats in it now?
 -

Chris

What kinda work are you doing on it?

What will you use the Truck for?

What is the mileage on the Truck?

Does it have any leaks?

Right now I'm chasing wiring problems. Brakes will be next.

Someday I will use it to haul building supplies.

Unknown milage. Over 1 mil I'm sure. Does have the original engine but I'm sure that it's been rebuilt. Seems to run smooth and has plenty of power bobtailing around.

No big leaks, some seapage.

There had been a good rebate deal on castrol (tection?) 15w40 at advance auto parts. $5/gal or so.

That rig's a real cutie.
smile.gif

You might want to ask in the diesel oil section. IIRC the "plus" is for soot control on modern computerized EGR equipped whatzimatrucks.

Right now I just want to get some fresh oil in the engine because I don't know whats in it or how long it's been in there. Most likely I will end up rebuilding the engine before I hit the road so Expensive oil is out of the question right now.

I will consider the good stuff when I get to that point.

Call your local Major oil jobber they can sell "generic" grade most will carry one (I know I make them) you a drum at a $4-5 gallon of a good grade oil. Then you can have extra for a flush and fill.
bruce

Chris turbo or not? egr? doubt it ,use the cheapest oil around . This truck was built before there was oil. Any HDEO would be way better than what was speced for the engine . Is the engine a 225 horse ?

I went oil shopping today. I ended up getting 11 gallons of Coastal Heavy Duty Engine oil 15w-40 at A-Zone for $49 by using a $20.00 gift card that they give out whenever you spend over $20. Get 5 marks on the card and you get a $20.00 one.

Got the oil and filter changed. I know that it's probly not as good as Delo, Rotella or Delvac but it's better than what was in there. I'll change it to better stuff when I put the truck on the road.

bruce381
quote:

Call your local Major oil jobber they can sell "generic" grade most will carry one (I know I make them)

Bruce381 can you tell us the difference between the generic minimum spec oil and Rotella?

To what degree/content is the generic oils the jobbers sell inferior to the majors base stock and add pack?

"To what degree/content is the generic oils the jobbers sell inferior to the majors base stock"

None, just no name brand without and with out the costs that go with the name brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back