Belgium Castrol 5w-40 in an Over the road application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Belgium Castrol 5w-40 be used in an over the road truck tractor application? I have seen the success of Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 in over the road trucks. Which would be the better of the two oils for this?

Hi Robb,
Castrol did/do make a range of excellent Heavy Diesel engine lubricants that are market specific (Country of engine origin mainly)
I believe that only one is a "full" synthetic like Delvac 1 5w-40 and this a Euro engine only product

I assisted in the development of their first semi-synthetic 15w-40 HDEO for American diesel engines commencing around 1991-2. It ("Enduro LD" LD = Long Drain) was an excellent product - it has been renamed and updated twice since 1997

It is possible that the Belgium made 5w-40 could be used in heavy engines (especially if Euro sourced and under 10ltr) but it really depends on the engine/oil specifications

Since the BP buyout of Castrol many engine lubricants are now cross marketed and BP had a full US spec. synthetic 5w-40 HDEO at one stage

I would not use any oil in a Heavy Diesel engine that did not meet the engine maker's stated specification. I have seen too many problems (sludge/rapid piston/valve train wear/combustion chamber deposits/high oil consumption) caused by such action

Regards
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back