Cummins Generator Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone...noob here...been lurking for a month or so...

My company recently had installed a 250kW emergency generator, with a Cummins 6 cyl natural gas engine. Since I am one of the techs responsible for running it weekly to take readings, check the oil and coolant, etc, I read the maintenance manual fairly carefully. The only oil Cummins specifically recommends is Cummins Premium Blue (15W-40), which I believe is actually Valvoline Premium Blue. The problem is that neither of these is readily available locally. The local truck repair shop only sells Rotella (for that matter, so does Wally World). Is this an acceptable oil to use in this motor? If it fails, the cable TV goes out, and over 100,000 people will be mad at me...
wink.gif

Thanks

The oil is a ci4 oil ,most of the heavy duty motor oils would work ie. Delo 400."my favorite". Rotella, delvac 1300 etc.

Thanks guys...sorry it took so long, but I managed to misplace my board-a$$igned password before I could change it to something I can remember...
rolleyes.gif

RF,

That engine is probably a standard diesel converted to run on natural gas. As everybody says, an oil for a diesel fueled engine is the right stuff.

If it was an engine designed for natural gas, instead of a conversion, you'd need an oil designed for a natural gas engine (which you don't have). Here's a description of that oil
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/4006S.htm

Use the API CI-4 15W-40 oil...that's the right stuff for you. For standby service, I'd use a synthetic, Mobil Delvac 1, Schaeffer's #700, or Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme. They will give faster starts and better lubrication immediately when the load is dropped on that engine, and the cost over a year's time makes an insignificant difference.

Ken

OK, I found Delvac 1300 Super at Wally World for $5.88/gal (not that price is the primary factor; Wally World is just the most convenient place that had what I wanted). The new generator needed a little more than ½ gal to bring it to full, and I used the rest of the Rotella in another engine, so from now on, I'll use the Delvac for all of our big generators. Hey, I use Mobil 1 in my car, may as well use Delvac in the generators and keep it all in the family!

Thanks to the kind folks here at BITOG for all the info...this place is kind of addictive...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back