Filter change frequency on a Kubota every other oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this normal? Manual says to change the oil every 100hrs, and the filter every 200 hrs? Doesn't seem right to me?

On most non-road equipment and generators I use the ratio of 40 miles per hour of operation. This would equate to 4K oil change and 8K filter change. If it were my equipment, I would change both at 100 hours. The savings isn't worth the worry to me.
smile.gif

I agree the savings you will get with the every other filter change does not seem worth it. Especially with the dusty environment tractor engines operate in.

Buy the way do you use Kubota filter? If so what do they look like dissected?

I would change the filter every time I changed the oil. Otherwise, you leave a quart of dirty oil in the engine.

Dan

Thanks guys. I thought so too. Just find it starnge that Kubota would suggest that. You'd think they had to pay for it or something.

quote:

Originally posted by PaJohn:
Is this normal? Manual says to change the oil every 100hrs, and the filter every 200 hrs? Doesn't seem right to me?

u sure this is not a hydraulic section? (is this a compact tractor or lawn/garden equipment?)

my cub cadet (mitsubishi tractor with K3M motor) says engine oil and filter every 50, hyd/trans oil and filter(s) every 200

I agree with QD, must be hydraulic section.

If this is the hydraulic section, I recommend oil changes every 20 hrs on my woodsplitters if used in the summer time, or every six months with a filter change every 10 hours or 3 months. Engine oil can be changed every 25-50 hours, depending on operating environment.

Now my hydraulic systems are high-flow, 1,200 psi systems that produces 35 - 75 tons of force, so this is why I have this conservative recommendation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nope, it says engine oil every 100hrs, filter very 200hrs. It's a BX22 compact tractor, diesel. I just checked the Kubota site ( I know I'm not allowed to link
frown.gif
) and that says oil and filter every 200 hrs????? Seems too long to me.

quote:

Nope, it says engine oil every 100hrs, filter very 200hrs. It's a BX22 compact tractor, diesel. I just checked the Kubota site ( I know I'm not allowed to link
frown.gif
) and that says oil and filter every 200 hrs????? Seems too long to me.

I have seen briggs & stratton call for 100hrs/seasonal on the newer gas engines with filter which I think is amazingly optimistic. Kubota must have a lot of faith in those little diesels. Personally Id be in there a bit more often.....

Do they make bypass oil filter setups for this small of a tractor? If I paid what I think you paid, I would maintain it religiously and take recommended changes with a grain of salt. Remember, they have an interest in it wearing out so they can sell you another one. Or just getting it past the warranty period. And, yes, I am cynical.....

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:
Do they make bypass oil filter setups for this small of a tractor? If I paid what I think you paid, I would maintain it religiously and take recommended changes with a grain of salt. Remember, they have an interest in it wearing out so they can sell you another one. Or just getting it past the warranty period. And, yes, I am cynical.....

Dan

Does it have a spin on filter?? Sure you can put the Amsoil Dual remote on this thing no problem. How many quarts does the oil pan hold?? I"m guessing less than 16. Which is what the Ford Powerstrokes have.

You can basically put a by-pass filter on any piece of equipment that has a pressurized oil systems.

I chane my oil and filter every 100 hrs and it still looks somewhat clear, Kubota engines are very clean running so I suppose they can go a bit longer between changes before the oil soots up. Now, My tractor is run 8-10 hrs a day non stop so it doesn't have a lot of heat/cool cycles so I suppose it will last a little longer than if I were just bombin' around the yard for a few minutes a day, premium fuel and synthetic oil probably help a bit too. Even though Kubota recommends 200 hrs I wouldn't unless I had a bypass filter ( I will be getting one soon!) Mine holds 6 qts. so it is cheap to change, far cheaper than replacin that VERY EXPENSIVE enine!

Yeah, I agree. Going to change the oil AND FILTER every 100hrs. BTW, I was just reading the manual for my JD 325 lawn tractor with a Kawasaki engine and it says oil every 100hrs, filter every 200hrs too??? Why do these lawn and tractor manufacturers keep recommneding filters every other change??
confused.gif

quote:

Yeah, I agree. Going to change the oil AND FILTER every 100hrs. BTW, I was just reading the manual for my JD 325 lawn tractor with a Kawasaki engine and it says oil every 100hrs, filter every 200hrs too??? Why do these lawn and tractor manufacturers keep recommneding filters every other change??
confused.gif

I dunno, the way diesel murders oil, I can see it. to tell the truth, my cub is 100hrs to, ive just been using 50 hrs. when I get 50 hrs on, it has worked its cast iron butt off...its so cheap insurance (short block is $4500)

now my big massey......that thing turns oil black as its being poured in - them old english diesels run forever, but are none too tight around the rings....

i think the factory is correct.

i say this because if you look on small industrial gas and diesel engines with no oil filter, they recomend an oil change every 50 hours. so if your running pressurised lubrication and a oil filter why couldnt you take it to 200?

I think this is where oil analysis comes in. There is such a great variance in how tractors are used, as well as the sizes and hp. I've got around 1000 tractors of different sizes among my local customers and most run 400 to 500 hours on the oil, change filters with every oil change, monitor their AIR filters closely as well as the restriction indicators. Typically they run 3000 to 5000 hours per year. Analisis shows we can keep wear metals to 20 to 30 ppm of iron in 450 hours with 2 to 3 ppm of copper or lead. Engines are easily reaching the 20,000 hour mark without repair. Analize it and go from there.

I have a Kubota RTV900R with a 21.6 hp three cylinder. My manual also states to change lube oil every 100 hours and filter every 200 hours. I bought it with 9.7 hours on it. Got it at a demo price. The dealer delivered it for free, which was sweet. .3 hours later I had changed the oil. The salesman had not even left my house and it had a new oem kubota filter and I learned that the manual was wrong when it stated that my engine held 2.1 quarts when I actually had to put in three and a half quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 in it to bring it to the full line. He was like mobil 1? Isn't that a syn. I was like yepper. He responded with kubota says to only use kubota oil. I responded well thats like almost four dollars a quart. He was like yeah. I was like there is no way in **** I am going to pay that kind of price for generis dino oil. I was told that I your not supost to use syn in a kubota ever. I was like show me in the manual. It says nothing in the manual about using or not using syn. I was told it would cause high oil cunsumption and leaks. I changed it at 50 hours, then again at 100 hours and every 100 hours after. At 590 hours and 16 months later it still hasn't used or leaked a drop of oil. Take that idiot my salesman. I have changed the filter at every change. I don't like to even think about leaving a pint of used lube oil in at an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back