What oil to use in 2 cycle Detroit Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD

Hello, I just got a motorhome (Prevost) with an 8v92Ta Detroit diesel and am wondering what would be the best oil to use in it. I had heard somewhere that it is best to use a single weight oil like 40 wt. It will get lots of miles uphill and lots of towing and winter driving so I want the best oil I can get for it. The transmission (6 speed manual) takes the same oil as the engine which is a new thing for me to get used to.
Thanks for any info you might have, I could use it!

You need a diesel engine oil specifically for a two-stroke diesel. These oils have the API Service Category CF-II. Yes, 40 wt. is correct, but SAE 40 CF-II.

Schaeffer's #107 40 wt. is probably the best oil you can get for that engine. Chevron Delo 100 SAE 40 is a commonly used oil for your engine. Delo 400, even straight 40, or any CH-4 or CI-4 15W-40 oil is not the correct oil.

For winter you'll certainly need heat on the engine well before starting. Check with a local truck repair shop for exactly what you need to do for winter.

Ken

[ July 15, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

JD,

Also keep in mind that those engines normally burn much more oil than you're probably used to, and after about ten years or so they also leak a fair bit from dried gaskets. The Detroit two stroke engines, to oversimplify, are moderate cost, light for the power, moderate cost to rebuild, use lots of lube oil, and more fuel than a comparable four stroke engine...Cummins, Cat, Detroit four stroke, etc.

Ken

As mentioned, absolutely, positively, *only* a straight 40W oil. NO 15W-40 oil for a 2 cycle Detroit! Not mentioned previously is Delvac Detroit or XD-3 40W. These are low ash CD/CF-2 oils and are the oils used by Detroit Diesel OEM.. ie. they are optimized for Detroit Diesel 2 cycles..
I would also suggest doing an occasional oil analysis to ascertain that the induction system is tight and that the coolant system is tight.. It will be a very worthwhile $15 investment..
George Morrison

There are some caveats to the 40 weight recommendation. They may not apply to your application, but you may want to read up on it yourself and ask a few more questions.

Specifically,

quote:

3. For continuous high temperature operation (over 200 F or 94 C coolant out), the use
of an SAE grade 50 lubricant in DDC two-stroke cycle Series 53, 71 and 92 engines is
required. SAE grade 50 lubricants are also required for all Series 149 engines where
ambient temperatures are above 95 F (35 C).
4. At ambient temperatures below freezing (32 F or 0 C), sufficient starter cranking speed
may not be achieved to start the engine with SAE 40 grade oils. Where starting aids are
not available or at very cold temperatures (0 F to -25 F or -18 C to -32 C) even if
starting aids are available, the use of multigrade SAE 15W-40 or monograde lubricant
SAE 30 will improve startability. These lubricants must possess a High Temperature
– High Shear Rate Viscosity (measured by ASTM D 4741 or equivalent) of 3.70 cP
minimum. These oils must be replaced with monograde SAE 40 lubricants as soon as
ambient conditions permit. Do not use multigrade or SAE 30 grade lubricants in
two-stroke cycle marine engines or Series 149 under any circumstances.
5. At lower ambient temperatures where sufficient starter cranking speed may not be
achieved to start the engine with SAE 50 grade oils, SAE grade 40 oils may be used. SAE
50 grade oils are not recommended below 45 F (7 C) ambient.

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/public/technicianguides/technav.asp

J.D. years ago, I used to drive truck ,the 8v92 engines have lots of power .I bet you enjoy the driving time with that motor. With the 6 speed is it 360 hp at 1900 rpm?

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will do a quick change with whatever suitable oil I can find locally then switch to Schaeffers as soon as I can get some here, I want to run the Schaeffers since that is what I run in all of the other equipment ( tractors, pickups, jeep etc.) And I like to stay with one brand for everything since it simplifies everything. NowI need to get some ordered! Steve, Yes I really enjoy the way this thing drives, I can almost set standing passengers on the floor if I floor it! I was told it is supposed to be 460-70 hp but I don't know for sure, I haven't looked at the tag yet! Most of the time I will be using it to travel I 90 from here (North Dakota- yes it will et used in the cold winter- it has a block heater and either start!) to the west coast over the mountains towing a trailer. That is why I wanted a manual transmission, I like 'em better for hills and towing! Thanks again for the info, I apreciate it! Chris

Wow, I wasn't aware that Detroit still made the 2 stroke engines. What year is this motorhome?

How does one pass emissions with a 2 stroke diesel? I guess if it's older, it wouldn't apply. I bet it burns a ton of oil!

Hi,
JD - you have already had some good responses and VaderSS's hits the spot accurately

Viscosity Grade 40 will probably be good all year round. I have used it in 8V92TTAs ( 420hp )in temps from -6C to 40C without a problem
Detroit's document - 7SE270 9902> - is an excellent reference for oils,fuels,filters and OC intervals for your engine

Castrol's CRF 40 or CRB 40 oils work well in these engines

I love the sound - exhilerating!

Be easy on the ether on cold starts too much can do lots of damage

Regards

A two stroke diesel is not the same as a two stroke gas engine. While emissions may be higher(not sure about that though, with the blower and all...), there is no reason for it to burn any more oil than a 4 stroke diesel.

Hi,
Detroit 2 cycle engines do consume oil. The usual oil loss/consumption is around 1ltr/1200kms or so if the engine is in good condition
They leak some too - quite normal!

This is all due to the design of the engine and is but one reason why Detroit no longer sell them for new highway truck applications. Emission control difficulties, poor fuel economy and assembly complexity were among other reasons
I once drove a White Semi with a prototype 8V92TTA "Fuel Squeezer" engine around Milton (near New York?) in 1975. They were quite good on fuel but you had to use lower revs - "lugging" the engine around 1200 rpm on hills - and most Drivers would not do it. They were too familiar with the typical Jimmy noises ( and higher revs ) to change their driving style

Always keep clean air filters up to the engine and ensure that you have no induction leaks. Detroits ingest about twice the raw air needed to actually combust the fuel. The rest is for scavanging the old charge

A great and very durable American engine - if well cared for!

Regards

Years ago when I drove truck, I really liked the 92 seris engines The feul squeezers Would walk away from cummins 350's in a head wind or up a grade, as far as driving the 92's were my favorite. But I did a few trips with a cummins KT 450
shocked.gif

[ October 12, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back