WARNING delo 400-40wt is not for all diesel engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is many people in the industrial world using the fine delo 400 40wt oil in many older diesel engines. The problem is that this oil is designed as a 4 stroke engine oil and not a 2 stroke engine.

Quote from http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lu...52d1e44144e815bb8825605900514696?OpenDocument

"Chevron Delo 400 oils are not recommended for use in DDC two-stroke engines."

Many boats (shrimpers and such), buses, generators, stationary pump engines and more are 2 stroke engines.

Just about every major oil company has specific Detroit Diesel 2 stroke oils; Mobil actually produces an oil called Detroit Diesel 2 cycle oil. It is not only Chevron Delo that will cause problems with DD 2 cycles. Just about every high ash multi-vis oil will reduce Detroit 2 cycle life.
The tried and true straight 40W, low ash oil is what the engine needs for maximum engine life. Thank goodness the engine is going away, however slowly..

Clearly that is true, EXCEPT that delo 400 40wt just recently reformulated what has been tried and true for 20+yrs and now many are being caught short not knowing that this had happen'd. That was the purpose of this.

I have many Shrimp boaters that are in this situation, haveing been using delo 40wt for many years, and suddenly, very quitely they are faced with this with no indications from their previous lube supplier.

Did not realize, thank you for the explanation. We do not have much of a Chevron marine component up here on the rivers, primarily Texaco and Mobil...

I thought Delo 1000 40 wt. was the main Chevron oil for 4-stroke marine diesels? I've bought hundreds of gallons of it. Never had an EMD to buy oil for, but I know it takes a special oil.

For a big diesel (Sulzer 12RTA84), we used 30 wt. oil in the crankcase and had Texaco blend a 60 wt. TBN 70 oil for the cylinder lube. They wanted us to use their 50 wt., but we told them that if they didn't want to blend it, Exxon would be happy to do so. Texaco blended it, and it worked fine. We used about a ton a day.

Ken

Prior to the reformulation, the delo 400 40wt would work in the DDC 2stroke engines, but now they have elevated the ash content more in line for 4strokes only therefore the warning they have on their tech data sheets as well as in the detroit engine manuals.

Many of my shrimpers have those engines, some use it as a primary engine, but most use it on their generators. Having used the delo 400 40wt was convient as it worked for both but now they would have to carry 2 different oils for such.

This is where I came in and investigated the rumor that someone heard and verified it for them. The chevron dealer has no idea or clue of this happening and if not for the rumor I guess I wouldn't have either.

At this time, he(chevron) had not come back with an alternative (delo 100) and since this business rely's heavily on their engines during certain seasons, many are opting to move over to schaeffers since they do have a specialized oil to acommedate both in one oil, so they don't have to miss a beat and keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back